Author Topic: Port Dundas jug  (Read 6127 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Port Dundas jug
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 07:04:43 pm »
I found record of a picture of James Scott's Army & Navy Depot from 1900.......but as it was sold there was no other info available.

Here is an ad from Belcher's Farmer's Almanack from 1885   ;)  Still trying to find out when he was last in business.

I just did some snooping on a map and found that James Scott's was only about 4 miles (as the crow flies) from the explosion!  (Sorry. . . sometimes I get so interesting in the story, I let me little mind/imagination run away - off leash  ;D)

Kimmienemo, it's actually only about 2 miles.  'A' is the approx. location of the Army & Navy Depot and 'B' is where the explosion took place.   My mother was living in Georgetown, PEI at the time, about 150 miles away (on an island).......pictures and windows rattled and dishes fell off shelves.  Her family moved to Halifax in 1918, as the city was just beginning to rebuild the devastated area.

(would have been a good idea to include the map.......duh!)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:08:12 pm by sapphire »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 02:11:07 am »
I found record of a picture of James Scott's Army & Navy Depot from 1900.......but as it was sold there was no other info available.

Here is an ad from Belcher's Farmer's Almanack from 1885   ;)  Still trying to find out when he was last in business.

I just did some snooping on a map and found that James Scott's was only about 4 miles (as the crow flies) from the explosion!  (Sorry. . . sometimes I get so interesting in the story, I let me little mind/imagination run away - off leash  ;D)

Kimmienemo, it's actually only about 2 miles.  'A' is the approx. location of the Army & Navy Depot and 'B' is where the explosion took place.   My mother was living in Georgetown, PEI at the time, about 150 miles away (on an island).......pictures and windows rattled and dishes fell off shelves.  Her family moved to Halifax in 1918, as the city was just beginning to rebuild the devastated area.

(would have been a good idea to include the map.......duh!)
That,s what all that caffeine does for you.....iddle/addle.....brain cells gone for a paddle..... ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 05:50:41 am »
Debodun, you might want to send inquiries to the Museum of Natural History (they do have exhibits of local furniture and products) as well as the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which specializes in the close ties with the sea and the navy. One of these may be able to help with dating the jug.......at least with finding dates for the existence of Scott's Army & Navy, possibly any roll he played in supplying ships, etc. with the 'good stuff'.

Actually you could cover all bases or be directed the the exact one to contact buy messaging the Nova Scotia Museum, which is the 'parent' of the 27 museums in the province.

Museum of Natural History
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnhnew/en/home/default.aspx

Maritime Museum of the Atlantic
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mmanew/en/home/default.aspx

Nova Scotia Museum (contact link at bottom of page)
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/en/home/default.aspx

I could see that jug going for sale/auction here and creating a huge interest, especially with it's local, historical connection.

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 09:36:51 am »
Good suggestions, sapphire. Thanks.