Author Topic: Spice Cabinet  (Read 8441 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Spice Cabinet
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 09:38:53 am »
The two metal pieces at the bottom back were to keep it straight on the wall !! Probably had a tack or small finish type nail !! When the cabinet is longer than it is wide it will creep out of level when doors close or you get something out of the drawers,,over time it gets crooked !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 12:30:00 pm »
Although your cool little item has been refinished  , R , perhaps a fine-tooth-comb over all of it (i/s , o/s) search might turn up a sig from the maker ?

I still get the feeling that this was made for someone that the maker loved/knew .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 12:54:04 pm »
The lack of locking doors or locks was also causing me to not jump in with agreement on this one.

This was either made for seed or decorative purposes. 

I recommend a hands-on appraisal.  I do think it is older and nicely made!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »
After drawing from the well of knowledge here, my thanks go out to all of you for your thoughts and advice. My personal theory regarding the age of the cabinet is that it might date back to the era of “tramp art”, early 1900’s possibly?

I’ll share a secret with you: Back in the late 90’s, while experiencing a euphoric eBay high after my 15 minutes of fame, I suggested to my Mother that putting her spice cabinet on the “net” would be a good idea. At the time, I posted it on eBay with a $99 start…and it never received a bid! The failure of the cabinet to elicit any interest proved to be a rather humbling reality check that just because something appealed to me didn’t mean much.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 02:11:28 pm »
My personal theory regarding the age of the cabinet is that it might date back to the era of “tramp art”, early 1900’s possibly?

Exactly what i was thinking, tramp art, first quarter 20th century. Worth an examination of construction details for sure though, quality sells, tramp art or not.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:13:30 pm by jacon4 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 02:14:45 pm »
After drawing from the well of knowledge here, my thanks go out to all of you for your thoughts and advice. My personal theory regarding the age of the cabinet is that it might date back to the era of “tramp art”, early 1900’s possibly?

I’ll share a secret with you: Back in the late 90’s, while experiencing a euphoric eBay high after my 15 minutes of fame, I suggested to my Mother that putting her spice cabinet on the “net” would be a good idea. At the time, I posted it on eBay with a $99 start…and it never received a bid! The failure of the cabinet to elicit any interest proved to be a rather humbling reality check that just because something appealed to me didn’t mean much.

Methinks you had a luck escape with it not selling....or else this might have been another dang it story.. ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,