Author Topic: 1 Dollar garage sale find  (Read 3843 times)

dnbinc

• View Profile
1 Dollar garage sale find
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:41:17 pm »
This afternoon I went to a few garage sales and came across these nice little cups for a dollar. They may be nothing but I've been looking for a few hours and I can only come sort of close with this.

There are really faint marks on the bottom, maybe 379? 879? The marks don't come out in the pictures. I must've looked through 4 or 5 thousand pictures on eBay and etsy.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'm new to the game and have learned a lot from just lurking the forums. I really appreciate it!

Here's some more pics

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Dollar garage sale find
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:07:07 am »
This afternoon I went to a few garage sales and came across these nice little cups for a dollar. They may be nothing but I've been looking for a few hours and I can only come sort of close with this.

There are really faint marks on the bottom, maybe 379? 879? The marks don't come out in the pictures. I must've looked through 4 or 5 thousand pictures on eBay and etsy.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'm new to the game and have learned a lot from just lurking the forums. I really appreciate it!

Here's some more pics
Gollum used to lurk about in the caves below the Misty Mountain.....
now to your cup and saucer....when you hold it up to the light...is it translucent....it has the look of fine bone china....and at $1.....or £1.50 in our money....i,d buy them all day long at that price...and be really upset..if i did,nt make a 200% or more profit....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:02:32 pm »
We would really need to see marks to help you try and pinpoint manufacturer.

Bigwull gave some great advice.

They sell for $15 - 20 (unknown maker) if a desirable tea cup/saucer set in southern US.  Desirable being a eyes pleasing pattern and style.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »
If the number on the bottom is merely painted under the glaze, that was probably the decorators mark. If so, the maker will probably remain unknown.
It's nice to see an early example that has survived intact...not all of them have.

Years ago I was invited to buy a collection of a few hundred cups and saucers. Upon entering the house I was directed to the dining room where the collection was on display in a curved glass china closet. You might wonder how 200 to 300 cups and saucers would fit in one piece of furniture? The owner cheerfully explained: "I had to snap the handles off the cups, so they would stack. But, I saved all the handles, so they can be glued back on." That was one of my "I still can't believe it" moments.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:44:24 pm »
Things like that happen more than you might imagine....a similar story was told to be by Avril,....her aunt used to work for the NCR...an, American Cash Register company....they were big in my home town of Dundee, having arrived there in late 1945....Avril,s aunt was a  maid..at their Gentlemans club,..in 1953 the American golfer Ben Hogan, visted there whilst playing at the Open Golf tournament..at Carnoustie...which he won...Avril,s aunt was charged with looking after him, and  his entourage,...she must have made a good job of it,because , Ben Hogan, asked her if she had any sons, and she said yes 2, then he  gave her a set of golf clubs that he,d used at some point during the tournament......the se were Hickory shafted....
approx 6 years later, there was a very severe winter..and in Aunt Agness,s house, things were pretty grim...there were power cuts, and money was tight...and in order to keep warm they were using the open fire , and...Agness when finding out that there was no kindling,to start the fire, decided to cut the heads off that set of golf clubs,.and use the shafts as kindling.......What would that set be worth today, if all in one piece,...i cannot imagine...

dnbinc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 04:04:45 pm »
If the number on the bottom is merely painted under the glaze, that was probably the decorators mark. If so, the maker will probably remain unknown.
It's nice to see an early example that has survived intact...not all of them have.

Years ago I was invited to buy a collection of a few hundred cups and saucers. Upon entering the house I was directed to the dining room where the collection was on display in a curved glass china closet. You might wonder how 200 to 300 cups and saucers would fit in one piece of furniture? The owner cheerfully explained: "I had to snap the handles off the cups, so they would stack. But, I saved all the handles, so they can be glued back on." That was one of my "I still can't believe it" moments.

Oh my god. I would have cried.

I can't make the number out on any of the cups, but it is under the glaze in the porcelain. I tried using a thin sheet of paper and a pencil to rub it out but nothing. Replacements.com will find the pattern (if they have it) if you email them a few pictures.

Things like that happen more than you might imagine....a similar story was told to be by Avril,....her aunt used to work for the NCR...an, American Cash Register company....they were big in my home town of Dundee, having arrived there in late 1945....Avril,s aunt was a  maid..at their Gentlemans club,..in 1953 the American golfer Ben Hogan, visted there whilst playing at the Open Golf tournament..at Carnoustie...which he won...Avril,s aunt was charged with looking after him, and  his entourage,...she must have made a good job of it,because , Ben Hogan, asked her if she had any sons, and she said yes 2, then he  gave her a set of golf clubs that he,d used at some point during the tournament......the se were Hickory shafted....
approx 6 years later, there was a very severe winter..and in Aunt Agness,s house, things were pretty grim...there were power cuts, and money was tight...and in order to keep warm they were using the open fire , and...Agness when finding out that there was no kindling,to start the fire, decided to cut the heads off that set of golf clubs,.and use the shafts as kindling.......What would that set be worth today, if all in one piece,...i cannot imagine...

One of the reasons I love antiques is because it's like a window into the past. The people who held those items lived in a different world.  It would be great to have those clubs but freezing to death would stink. She probably didn't think twice about it. She did what she had to do.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 05:35:37 pm »
I totally agree , better to be warm and alive...than to sit freezing your.....i was going to say something else,,but ...feezing will have to do... ;)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:48:25 pm »
Oh come one, we knew you weren't going to say "ass." :o
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 01:14:11 am »
Oh come one, we knew you weren't going to say "ass." :o
;well over here it would have been, freezing your bloody b***s off...i can say it now cos i know you are a he...but i did,nt, know if..dnbinc  is a he/she...so i thought err on caution...but as i know you are he,and more broad minded..i can tell you, ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 12:46:08 pm by bigwull »

dnbinc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 09:25:45 am »
I would be freezing my bloody b***s off too :)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 03:19:18 pm »
 ;) ;)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 07:07:57 pm »
The number on the bottom is usually the pattern number !! Are all the numbers worn on all of the pieces the same ?? I mean do they all show the same wear pattern !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 08:08:24 pm »
I literally cringed on the snapped handles....had to read this out to my whole family!  They knew it affected me terribly and laughed...then said they were so glad it wasn't them that did it!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 11:58:47 am »
Hey gang, no profanity on the boards please. If you would, please edit your comments so that I don't have to delete your posts. Using the asterisks is OK, we all get it. Remember we are a G-rated forum. Thanks.
Antiqueaholic in recovery