Author Topic: Antique Bottles  (Read 5330 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Antique Bottles
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 07:12:11 am »
Great cultural exchanges around here! I thought you were using the word as an adjective!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 12:48:40 pm »
Some are Garenteed, Warranted, Honest Measure, but they also say full pint, half pint. The little round ones are more valuable. Mine have not been tumbled yet.

I love this forum. . . I am ALWAYS learning something.  If it's not an English lesson from Bigwull, it is a repair seminar from handy-folks like Mart!  However, I desperately need to be educated on "tumbling"?  Is that some way of cleaning?  Are antique bottles more desirable uncleaned or spruced-up a bit? 

I will be going through two large cardboard/paper barrels full of antique bottles that were given to my father.  My uncle was a backhoe operator in the San Francisco area.  On a few occasions, he uncovered old landfills.  I want to make sure I don't make a mistake when sorting through them.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 12:58:33 pm »
I would not tumble any old valuable bottle !!  Tumbling in sand polishes the surface !! Its OK if you are going to keep it but if value matters,, I wouldn`t !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 01:08:31 pm »
I prefer my Grandads method !!  He put the candy in a half pint of Old Crow and let it sit !!  That was our cough syrup !!  Its amazing how fast it cured a cough !!

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 01:20:53 pm »
I would not tumble any old valuable bottle !!  Tumbling in sand polishes the surface !! Its OK if you are going to keep it but if value matters,, I wouldn`t !!

Thanks, Mart.  Some of the bottle still have residual dirt left in/on them.  Should that be left as well?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 01:28:07 pm »
I prefer my Grandads method !!  He put the candy in a half pint of Old Crow and let it sit !!  That was our cough syrup !!  Its amazing how fast it cured a cough !!
Is that all it cured??......wide legged and eyeless....i would say..... ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 09:22:42 pm »
They use some interesting things in those bottles. Products made with what we call illegal drugs today are very valuable.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."