Author Topic: Having a bit of trouble  (Read 3219 times)

ikeithireland

• View Profile
Having a bit of trouble
« on: October 12, 2012, 01:45:41 am »
Does anybody know the value of a 1921 Seth Thomas type 66? its a  seven jewel 8 day clock?? It is in beautiful condition and wearing a black face bearing United States Coast Guard with brass numbers. and chimes every hr and half hr. and runs very strong. any info would be great thanks!! ill put pics of it up tomorrow as i am having camera issues lol.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Having a bit of trouble
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:38:21 am »
Some Seth Thomas clocks can be quite valuable...i sold one 2 years ago..it was a Wardroom clock dated 1942 and was of a type that were om American warships...see pic..I sold it to a collector in AUS.for good money......also is this your clock
http://www.skipjackmarinegallery.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SNWMG&Product_Code=12066&Category_Code=

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:41:07 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ikeithireland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 09:25:32 pm »
No the link you provided is not the same clock as i have,  a couple things
my clock is solid brass and the whole bezel unscrews to have access to winders.
the pic i posted i borrowed off a nautical antique shop. from their desc. I have the same clock
however the face of mine is black with brass numbers and says "United States Coast Guard" in white letters.
Thanks for any help!

ikeithireland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 09:32:46 pm »
oh and i forgot to add the movement is dated 1921 inside and has 115 marks which i assume is the movement

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:47:29 pm »
     Overall Seth Thomas Table Alarm Clocks will get you $20.00 to $50.00, in good working order but as mention some will warrant more.  You may bump the price a bit more due to it being nautical in origin, but just a bit more.  Many Clock Collectors still out there overall so the value is a good steady base, but so many clocks have been made over the years that the value is moderate at best.  Keep in mind this is just a general overview of clock value and like mentioned earlier some will do better.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 10:11:27 pm »
The price of Seth T clocks appears to be higher than $20/50....it obviously depends on what clock you have....but these here may give you some indication as to what you might get for yours

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=seth+thomas+ships+clock&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc
ps,
in future, try and post a pic of the actual item that you have.....and not someone else,s as this does,nt help us...it just hinders us....

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 12:03:51 am »
    Yes for sure the price and be higher then the simple base line price.  This is always the case for sure, and like said one would need to look into each case.  I should explain my logic a bit deeper.  In general Seth Clocks will get that as a beginning base price, and the other issue will only raise the value.  I was a bit premature in my overall evaluation case I basically saw a Seth Thomas Alarm Clock.  When you look at the completed listing for just Seth Thomas Clock you have 148 pages and sort by lowest the first 100 + pages are in this price range. They do tend to sell overall, I have sold a fair amount of Seth Thomas and have seen the prices go as high $200.00 to a Nice Seth Thomas Parlor Clock but usually well under that had a Seth Thomas Mid Century Alarm Clock Today that only sold of 9.99.  Again I just establish a base Price and work my way from there.  Seth Thomas Table Clock 20.00, Early Century Age add another 20.00, Keywound will get you another good bump in Price, Nautical well you have another bonus, and then let us not forget not only External Condition if Good to Very Good we may be getting into the $100.00 Range now, and etc.  Then and only Then you get to add Rarity to price.  Then like all things in dealing I requires at least two people seeing it and will to pay that price to get it, and then with at least 1000 of them on line you hope your is the one picked.   This is why I first find the base price and work up.  Sorry for rambling so much, guess I have not had my forum fix in many months.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 05:21:10 am »
    Yes for sure the price and be higher then the simple base line price.  This is always the case for sure, and like said one would need to look into each case.  I should explain my logic a bit deeper.  In general Seth Clocks will get that as a beginning base price, and the other issue will only raise the value.  I was a bit premature in my overall evaluation case I basically saw a Seth Thomas Alarm Clock.  When you look at the completed listing for just Seth Thomas Clock you have 148 pages and sort by lowest the first 100 + pages are in this price range. They do tend to sell overall, I have sold a fair amount of Seth Thomas and have seen the prices go as high $200.00 to a Nice Seth Thomas Parlor Clock but usually well under that had a Seth Thomas Mid Century Alarm Clock Today that only sold of 9.99.  Again I just establish a base Price and work my way from there.  Seth Thomas Table Clock 20.00, Early Century Age add another 20.00, Keywound will get you another good bump in Price, Nautical well you have another bonus, and then let us not forget not only External Condition if Good to Very Good we may be getting into the $100.00 Range now, and etc.  Then and only Then you get to add Rarity to price.  Then like all things in dealing I requires at least two people seeing it and will to pay that price to get it, and then with at least 1000 of them on line you hope your is the one picked.   This is why I first find the base price and work up.  Sorry for rambling so much, guess I have not had my forum fix in many months.
I like ramblers...your a man?...efter meh ain hert!.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:05:21 am »
LOL !!  You two should get along well !! Ironlord is one of our glass experts !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 03:06:02 pm »
ironlord rocks!!!! Glad to see you back on the forum.  How are things at goodwill?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 03:32:17 pm »
ironlord is in the house! YESSSSSS!! :) :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 03:34:19 pm »
    Things have been great there, so many things I get to touch and feel it is amazing.  Yesterday I got to post a 1913 Victorola phonograph, but it is lock and we can't get it opened, so we posted it as such didn't want to pry it open, it is a nice quarter sawed oak cabinet in really good condition.  That was probabably the highlight of the week, other then the Legos  :P

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 03:40:51 pm »
LOL !!  You two should get along well !! Ironlord is one of our glass experts !!
I,m quite an expert with glass as well, I used to fit Double glazed windows....