Author Topic: silver plate tea/coffee set  (Read 1990 times)

sephslady

• View Profile
silver plate tea/coffee set
« on: November 18, 2004, 08:34:18 pm »
I have a tea/coffee set that is silver plated, it has on the bottom of each piece a circle with a pilgrim inside the circle holding a rifle over his right shoulder, outside the circle above it is the word "Pilgrim" and below the circle are the words "Silver Plate."  I can not find anything on the net about this mark, could anyone be able to help me with it?  Also the serving tray that is with it does not go with the set, it has a shield on the back with the letters "NS Co" inside the shield and below the shield are the words "silver on copper." and a number (094) below that.  I have pictures of them and would gladly email them to anyone who might be able to help identify the maker or either item.

I also have a cast iron doorstop, a pair of scottie dogs but have no idea how old it is or who made it.  It has rust on it and I've not cleaned it or the silver plated items either as I'm not sure how to go about it.  

Thank you,
Rose  

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 09:03:26 pm »
Sorry, I struck out too, on the ID - but to clean your silverplate, please use only a good silver cream.  It comes with a little sponge applicator.  It's a messy, time consuming job, but rewarding.  Please don't use the liquids or "dips" - yes, they work, but are foul smelling and can be harsh on a finish.  The cream doesn't remove the patina that may be applied, or acquired, on the design part, like gadroon borders, or raised flowers, etc.  KB

ps:  the smelly liquid is great on copper - as long as it's not covered with a protective finish - it eats it off.      

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 10:56:17 am »
Thank you kerrybee for the help with cleaning and for trying to find the mark, it's greatly appreciated.

Rose