Author Topic: Other things  (Read 7343 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Other things
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 06:32:52 pm »
Even though finding an exact matching ball shade will be next to impossible, there are always a few nice old original shades offered on eBay to choose from. The other option would be to have a new shade professionally painted to match the broken one.   

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 12:58:05 pm »
Nice Pieces!!!!!!

Okay, I am nosy.  First pic.  What kind of flooring is that?  Got my interests up!  Looks really neat...
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 04:43:34 am »
Yes KC would like to know about the floor also!!!!

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 07:00:00 pm »

"Is the porcelin Bavarian? Ghopper will be shopping at your house"

Totally. I need a Sreyomac credit card! :)

Loving that pitcher. Perfect for one of my etageres. Liking that first mirror, too. Gorgeous!

Mom said there were no marks on them...

Even though finding an exact matching ball shade will be next to impossible, there are always a few nice old original shades offered on eBay to choose from. The other option would be to have a new shade professionally painted to match the broken one.  

She has looked thru replacement globes seeing as the original one was not repairable.... and nothing compares!  I really think she is considering paying someone to paint one for her! I was shocked! lol

Nice Pieces!!!!!!

Okay, I am nosy.  First pic.  What kind of flooring is that?  Got my interests up!  Looks really neat...

The floor has a cool story.....

My uncle and aunt married and moved into a OLD farm house on some land (100 acres) that he inherited. The kinda house wear the door openings seem smaller, the bathroom looked like an after thought,and the doors had skeleton keys and key holes, thick molding, wood floors, heated by a wood burner and never had A.C.....(I live in Texas mind you) there was no mistaking it was a old house. It only had one big bedroom, one SMALL bathroom and the Living room and kitchen... they loved it.

As i mentioned before she never had any children of her own so she kept all my cousins and myself a lot of the time, my uncle was a merchant marine so he was gone half the year.  Well the one bedroom wasn't cutting it anymore.... there 7 of us, so she wanted to build a new room... just a room.  One thing led to another and in his typical fashion, he way over did it.... WAY! lol  He did eventually get his way...

And then it was built.... a three story add on.  With an attic.... and a bell tower....THREE STORIES!

They built this themselves, with hardly any help. (Minus the foundation and concrete slab) Us kids helped a lot too.... we toted things, sorted things, held flash lights, and just anything they would let us do. As i look back now we were probably all in the way....lol But they never acted like it. The first floor was the "Garden Room" and distilled their own wine there. The second floor was their bedroom and bath. The third was his room to display his gun and sword collections... bullet re-loader machine and other man stuff, and the pull rope to the bell...

So to the floor, after the concrete was laid he went back scored it in the pattern you see.... a spider web. ( Their anniversary is OCT 30, because she wouldnt marry him on halloween.) He always said he did it to spite her since she refused to get married him on the 31st. .... and it did! lol ( not sure why he was so set on that day) She had the most beautiful long red hair, and I'm sure you all know what comes with that... a temper!   I remember her being so mad when we came home that day..... So the floor is a painted and waxed concrete floor with a drain in the middle so she could water her plants.  

In the pic tho, we had moved her bedroom downstairs, because she was sick.  June 17 she was diagnosed with a very rapidly growing and aggressive brain tumor.... she lived 10 weeks.  June 15 she was normal, right as rain. She was my second mom, my aunt, my friend.... and i miss her.

I was feeling kinda blue today and getting all that out helped.... sorry for the long post to one simple question...... painted waxed concrete floor.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:43:04 pm by sreyomac »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 07:05:49 pm »
I just love these kind of stories.  Hope you type it up and keep it with the house!!!!  Great floor!  I bet she was fiery red about the floor knowing that "he was trying to
get her goat" as the old expression goes.

I love all the unique homes here in Texas!!!  Right Mart?!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »
They sound like wonderful loving people!! What beautiful memories <3   Love the floor  love the history more!!  Please don't be blue ((HUGS))

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 06:40:47 pm »
 Special memories! Wonderful life! You should smile that's what your Aunt would want. Celebrate your memories of her. ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 07:19:15 pm »

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 08:07:21 pm »
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=antique+limoges+figurines&qs=SC&sk=AS1SC1&FORM=QBIR&pq=antique%20limoge%20f&sc=8-16&sp=3&qs=SC&sk=AS1SC1 sreyomac check these outsome look very similar to yours.

Those are beautiful... some are all most exact! There is a vase i would love to add to the others.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 08:44:44 pm »
 ;D I'd take a couple myself.

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 04:43:16 pm »
Howdy Ya'll! ;D
I got better pics of the oil lamp.  Any info on it would be great.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 08:53:55 pm »
I'm thinking earlier on that lamp now, ca. 1880.

Here's a great site for shades. This dude will work closely with you to make sure you get one that's appropriate:

http://www.oillampparts.com/instockshades.html

Also, how about a picture of the marble top table upon which the lamp sits??
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 06:12:03 pm »
Thank you for the link GHopper... I do have pics of the table, they are not good tho. I'll post better later.

You can see the top in the other photos....  :-\  My photography skills are lacking.... lmbo ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:18:16 pm by sreyomac »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 05:28:35 am »
It looks like the marble had been broken in half??

Otherwise, me likee.......I've got just the place for it..... ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford