Author Topic: Questions from the guestbook  (Read 2991 times)

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
Questions from the guestbook
« on: March 12, 2003, 12:48:30 pm »
I will no longer be answering questions entered into the guestbook, however, if you ask them here, I will do my best to answer them!!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 12:48:57 pm by dontbe »
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 03:16:23 pm »
Come on everyone!!! I know you have questions, your still asking them at the other guestbook!!
Please ask them here in the public forum!!! :D
regards, Ed
« Last Edit: March 17, 2003, 03:16:41 pm by dontbe »
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

mama2littleman

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 11:31:22 am »
Since you asked  ;)  I have a question.

I have the opportunity to purchase these items here in Europe.  I'd like some indication as to there value, and whether or not they are in fact "antiques.  I have limited information about the pieces, just that they are supposedly French, and were purchased at an Estate auction in Belgium 5 years ago.   I won't have a chance to get a close look at them until I actually view the pieces, but it's a long drive, and to be perfectly honest, I'm antique stupid.  Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.

Nikki

since I can't get the pictures to load, here's a link to the shutterfly album

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de...c12e419¬ag=1

findit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 09:18:50 pm »
Wow.
 Those are really nice.
Unfortunately, I have no information for you.
I would start off with their value to you... With peices like that, you dont have to be "antique smart" to know what you like and appreciate. You know what you would be paying for a new peice, and you know you cant find stuff like that at the store everyday...
Let us know what you end up doing!

Mama2littleman

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 05:30:35 am »
Findit, thank you for your response.

Here's what ended up happening ... I took the long drive and went to look at the sofa and chair in person, and fell in love!  Both frames are solid carved walnut with cabriolet legs, completely free of rot and woodworm damage.  Both are covered in heavy cotton ulpohlstery that's in wonderful shape, though not the original upohlstery.  The frames alone would have made the pieces worth the purchase price.  They are supposed to date from the mid to late 19th century and are amazingly solid.  I forgot that there once was a time when furniture wasn't considered a "disposable".

Anyway, I ended up paying $800 for both pieces.  I don't know if I got a bargain, or was taken to the cleaners, but upon reflection I decided that the 2 pieces were definately worth $800 to me.  Where else am I going to find solid wood frame furniture at that price anymore.  Though they are a bit more ornate then I normally prefer, they are beautiful and at the very least give me a fun story to tell about antique hunting in Europe.

Thanks again,

Nikki