Author Topic: Antique Hindu Hand-Painted Hanging?  (Read 710 times)

coratheexplorer

• View Profile
Antique Hindu Hand-Painted Hanging?
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:20:48 pm »
Hi, first off I'd like to say hello and thanks in advance for any answers or advice I may receive :)
I'm Cora, and I came across this... hanging whilst cleaning out a recently deceased acquaintance's  home. He was an eccentric type and had many interesting treasures, this being among them!
Here's what I know (or think I know):
Hindu depiction of a ceremonial dance- the 8 pointed star could be a representation of the "Star of Lakshmi", or the 8 types of wealth of the Goddess Lakshmi. There are also eight dancers- 4 female and four males (the males all have a blue skin color which seems is common among Hindu deities), as well as two female characters off to the side. 
Hand-painted
Cotton or silk? on a wood frame
Measurements are about 3.5' x 2'
The colors are quite vibrant despite the poor conditions I found it in- my acquaintance was a heavy smoker, recluse and most likely did not clean his home in 10 years or more. I dusted it off as best as possible however there is still a cigarette-smoke odor. I'm hoping someone who has knowledge of the Hindu religion could tell me what exactly is depicted in the hanging, and from what time period this may be from. There are no visible markings or names that point to an artist.
Again, I thank all of you so much for your knowledge and I look forward to any interest!
I've included an image-forgive the sun/shadow spots from my blinds! If anyone believes more images are needed just let me know.

-Cora :)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Hindu Hand-Painted Hanging?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum Cora !!  Can you take a pic of the back please ??  Also a closeup of one of the figures !! What makes you think its hand painted ?? Could also be just a printed piece ?? The closeup will help !!