Author Topic: Need help identifying a coffee/tea set  (Read 10033 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Need help identifying a coffee/tea set
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 04:02:10 pm »
Christie's auction house will not give an auction estimate on anything valued under I believe  $5,000.00 as they will not consign pieces that are of lower value. Try emailing replacements.com and ask for the pattern name & maker like you are looking to add pieces to your collection.  Also go to your local library and research any books on makers and china.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 06:56:53 pm »
Does not say that on their site , Wendy !!  And I have looked at their auctions and there are many consignments under that price !!  Is this something new ??

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 05:35:57 am »
No this is not new mart they have done this for as long as I can remember, they will make exceptions if they find a piece interesting or believe it will sell higher than estimated also some clients have very high dollar pieces and a few lower so they will take all to consign the higher pieces. Even smaller well known auction houses will decline to give an estimate if they feel the piece would fall below their minimum lot level of a set price. Skinner Auction house has a minimum lot level of $500.00. But as I said if they like the piece they will take it at a lower value or if the customer sells many many lots with them they will work to sell things at lower estimates. I think it is their way of weeding out what is of little value for that time. Skinner auction house would also not take any depression glass when I tried to consign with them in 2009. But when they looked at a depression glass black pinched bottle set with tray, glasses, candle holders and silver bottle tags they took it quick! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 05:37:05 am »
I sent pics to replacements.com... .and 3 other companies that specialize in china...and i have had 3 replies...all of which are almost the same..
quote...Sorry not a pattern or back stamp we have in stock this does look as if it is Chinese/Japanese and we do tend to stock English pattern 99% of the time.
Regards
Amanda
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

FBODYWS6

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 11:02:22 pm »
I sent pics to replacements.com... .and 3 other companies that specialize in china...and i have had 3 replies...all of which are almost the same..
quote...Sorry not a pattern or back stamp we have in stock this does look as if it is Chinese/Japanese and we do tend to stock English pattern 99% of the time.
Regards
Amanda

Thanks, BigWull and Wendy- I have pretty much given up on finding out any more information on this Coffee Set but thought I would check to see if there were any new replies and I see there are.  I really appreciate everyone for going above and beyond to help me out.  I figure for now, I will hold on to the set and if I should find any information on it in the future I can sell it then.  Thank you so much for your help and your time!  :)

Mandie (FBodyWS6)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 10:56:01 am »
Mandie, the set is gorgeous!  Enjoy it!

I get disappointed when people lose their "zeal" for items just because they aren't from "renowned makers".  Kind of like brand name clothing these days!  These are items of beauty and took painstaking time to make no matter where they came from!  The artisans did a beautiful job...and resulted in a set of functional beauty!  Enjoy!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

FBODYWS6

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 11:47:58 am »
Mandie, the set is gorgeous!  Enjoy it!

I get disappointed when people lose their "zeal" for items just because they aren't from "renowned makers".  Kind of like brand name clothing these days!  These are items of beauty and took painstaking time to make no matter where they came from!  The artisans did a beautiful job...and resulted in a set of functional beauty!  Enjoy!!!!!!

Thanks, KC.  Maybe when my 15 month old twins are a little older, I can enjoy it with them.  For now, they will stay safe wrapped up in a box and put on a shelf.   :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 12:02:54 pm »
Look at them as antiques of the future !!  Even if repro`s they are very well done and beautiful !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, 12:11:48 pm »
Enjoy those babies!!!  Twins run in my family (I was the one who really wanted them and didn't get them...my brother did!  Have twin uncles, lotsa' sets of cousins, grandparents, etc...)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!