Author Topic: Question on Cyprus pottery  (Read 1636 times)

ObjectofInterest

• View Profile
Question on Cyprus pottery
« on: November 23, 2012, 04:58:54 pm »
Hello.
I have a piece of handmade pottery from Cyprus.
It is actually a jug from Cyprus. It is handmade and says on the bottom "HAND MADE "LAPITHOS" CYPRUS" on the bottom. On the face of the jug below the neck, it has a a blue outlined map of Cyprus hand painted with "CYPRUS" painted on the island. Below that in large letters it has the words "FILFAR LIQUEUR" and under that "CYPRUS" again hand painted. The jug is made of dark reddish brown clay and painted white. It has a small handmade stopper/top made of the same clay and also painted white.
I am wondering if this is a very common piece, it's estimated age, and it's possible value.
I have searched and only found one other like it on Worthpoint, but do not wish to subscribe to Worthpoint, and it is an estimated worth of what that one sold for on e-bay. I am hoping that someone will have an answer for me. Thank you for your time.
I am attatching pictures.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Question on Cyprus pottery
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:00:58 pm »
Why do you think ebay is not a good place to check for value ?? 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:07:42 pm »
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-cyprus-handmade-clay-pottery-liqueur-bottle

THis is a traditional liquor made in Cyprus but became bottled about 50 years ago.  Yours appears to be a collectible piece or tourist item - note it is in English!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:11:32 pm »
Bottom of this one has very little wear !!  I am thinking not that old !!  Tourist item !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:21:16 am »
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-cyprus-handmade-clay-pottery-liqueur-bottle

THis is a traditional liquor made in Cyprus but became bottled about 50 years ago.  Yours appears to be a collectible piece or tourist item - note it is in English!
its in English,for the simple reason that on the Greek side of the Island...its a favoured destination for UK holidays and the fact that there are UK army base,s on this side and they also drive on the left side of the road,which is the right side for us,but the wrong side for everyone else.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 11:36:30 am »
According to the history of the liqueur it is imported today to Canada, the UK and a few other places !!  It went commercial after 1974,, so as a rare bottle, it would not be considered one,, just that its use is limited to Greek Cypriot areas and it is less likely seen !! Only way you can establish a value is by sales of the same bottle !!  Even if it were one of a kind,,  there must be more than one person wanting that bottle or it is worth only what a person paid for it !!