Author Topic: A silver bowl that has hall marks on the bottom but can't find them anywhere?  (Read 2895 times)

madmike32

• View Profile
I have a what I think is silver but not sure as can't work out anything on the hall marks on the bottom as can't find them anywhere?!
Its a silver bowl that has lion head handles.I beleive it is a glass cooler but might be wrong as it is not particularily big.
Can I post pictures on here of the hall marks?  so people can have a look and maybe help me figure out more about the bowl?
Thanks
Mike

mart

• View Profile
Sur you can post pics !! Just hit reply then look at the bottom of the page click on additional options then brouse for your pic, after it downloads hit more attachments if more than one pic, then click on post and your done !!

madmike32

• View Profile
Ah ok , I will take a pic or two and then try and get them onto comp and post them when I have , then hopefully somebody can shed some light on the hall marks for me etc :).
Thanks
Mike

madmike32

• View Profile
hope these pics help :)

madmike32

• View Profile
here are lions head handles closer

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
You most likely have a master spooner sugar bowl or a waste bowl that went with a tea set.  Didn't get the dimension of your piece...but from the appearance that is my first thought.

All I can make out is  C  ? ? G ?

Pics are too blurry.  Did you take without a flash and using natural light?  If not, try that.
Even try and describe the marks please.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:33:54 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

madmike32

• View Profile
Ok that sounds interesting :).
I took the picture in kitchen only a short while ago.I will try and take some pics in natural light tomorrow and see if I can get less blurry pics as taking pics with camera on phone which should be good enough but it can't seem to focus too well.I will see what I can do about that or maybe borrow my mums camera and try that .
Thanks
Mike

madmike32

• View Profile
Right I decided to use flash and in dark, seems to have focused better.

Hopefully this pic is enough in focus now.

madmike32

• View Profile
The bowl is 5" across at the top
The base is 3 and half " across the bottom
It is 3 and 3/4 " high

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Corbell and Company
"Corbell & Company was established in London, England, in 1946. In 1951 Arthur Corbell moved to the United States and established Corbell & Company in Los Angeles. During the following years, the company expanded its activity throughout the United States, exhibiting its wide variety of merchandise in showrooms in Atlanta, Dallas, New York, Chicago and San Francisco, which were in addition to the headquarters in Los Angeles. Howard White purchased the company from Arthur Corbell in the fall of 2001 after moving to Los Angeles from England where he had been in the antique and reproduction hollowware business for over twenty-five years. "
http://www.silvercollection.it/electroplatesilverCdue.html#CARRI
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Still believe it is part of a tea set or lastly is a decorative small bowl.

madmike32

• View Profile
I must say thankyou to everyone that is helping me with this it is greatly appreciated indeed :) .As I have alot to learn when it comes to antiques .I Tend to buy because I like the look of something and then like to try to find out more about what I buy :)  which in this case I came to a full stop with the marks  and what it was etc , so any help is really greatly appreciated indeed .

Thanks again
Mike

madmike32

• View Profile
Thankyou for that information I shall  look at that :) and  now I understand it will be electroplated  and as you say could be part of a set, I will look into that and maybe I may be able to get more bits to go with it and also know its not very old either but vintage more than antique.

Thankyou ever so much for such fast help :)  brilliant is all I can say

I have a cup and saucer that don't quite match that I think  is chinese but might not be.I will have to take some pics and see if anyone can shed light on that, as I realy like it and it goes in my display cabinet  along with my silver bowl etc :)  as I like to see things I buy :) .
Thankyou again
Mike

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
What is so great these days is you don't have to have a perfectly matching set.  Mix and match.  In the Victorian era...you had to match...or you didn't have status.  These days...everything goes!