Author Topic: UGH...Do you know your Dynasties? or if Chinese porcelain is real or fake?  (Read 1668 times)

jumpontopski

• View Profile
I found this chinese vase/urn at an estate sale and have been racking my brain to find something out about it. At first I thought it was maybe from the longquan kiln but it has more of a blue/grey color from firing rather than the greenish color those pieces usually have but then I saw an article on how toward the wanli period pottery was more blue due to the minerals in the clay and that would explain why there is no signature on the bottom. The other thing that baffles me is there seems to be a raised kinda sorta letter "L" with maybe another raised mark on the inside bottom of the vase in the clay.

Any help determining dynasty, kiln, value, or if this piece is real or fake would be greatly appreciated and here are some specs on the vase/urn:

Dark blue figural scene with 2 fighting figures and 6 onlookers .  
6 sets of blue rings around the vase.
Floral design separating the 2 scenes, and around the top and bottom of the vase.

14.5 inches ( 36.83 cm) in height .
4 inch (10.16 cm) diameter opening.
15.5 inch ( 39.37 cm) base circumference.
24 inch( 60.96 cm) circumference at largest area .

Weight 6.3 pounds ( 2.8 kilograms) .
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:40:45 am by jumpontopski »

mart

• View Profile
Its transferware so pretty new  The crazing appears to be under the glaze so likely a paint technique not from age,, and its too consistant !!   Over the piece evenly crazed !! Not that much age showing on bottom !!

jumpontopski

• View Profile
Thanks Mart. Do you think its worth more than $10?

Its transferware so pretty new  The crazing appears to be under the glaze so likely a paint technique not from age,, and its too consistant !!   Over the piece evenly crazed !! Not that much age showing on bottom !!

mart

• View Profile
Its worth $10. if you like it !! No more !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
One of the tricks for ageing porcelain...is the egg shell crazing...and its surprisingly..very simple to do....and for any budding...fakir.... .who does,nt want to walk on nails...or charm the hind legs off a donkey...here,s how its done....take one cheapo glazed tile...stick it in your freezer for 2 days...1 hour before removing it...preheat your oven to 240deg.c...then place your tile on the top shelf...for 5 mins....sometimes its longer..i tried it and boogered 5 tiles before i got it right...but once you,ve done it..and logged the time....then you can churn out...old porcelain pots....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
Thats one way but you can feel that one,, the other is with a paint additive, then when fired crackles under the glaze !! ?You can`t feel it !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
The thing is with the freezer/oven method is....after the glaze has cracked...you can rub...coal dust into the crazing...then wipe it off...but minute particles remain...in the crazing...and it certainly ages the item....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,