Author Topic: mallet  (Read 2187 times)

suesyl

• View Profile
mallet
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:48:52 pm »
We found this old mallet in the loft of the barn. It is all wood. The mallet part is about 6 inches in diameter and the handle is about 36 inches. What would a wood mallet of this size be used for? Any ideas on age? This old farm has a lot of treasures we are finding.

suesyl

• View Profile
Re: mallet
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:51:21 pm »
Another picture

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:15:24 pm »
These were used as a cheaper version of a post maul...anywhere that you needed a "big hammer". I remember when the circus would come to town on the train. After a procession down main street, they would start setting up their tent. There was always an elephant that could handle a big wooden mallet to drive the tent stakes.
It looks like yours had iron bands around each end originally to keep it from splitting. They usually became loose and fell off when the wood dried out. Look around, they might still be near where you found the mallet.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:51:26 pm »
They were also used in medievel times...for splitting skulls....Warhammer ...in fact if you look as far back as Ancient Greece...the warrior Ajax...used one of these...for dunting heids.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

suesyl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:30:03 pm »
Yikes BigWull! Glad I live in Iowa.  Thanks Rauville, I'll tell my husband to watch for the steel bands. Besides the midevil times any idea on age?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:37:52 am »
age probably 30,s...shaft will most likely be made of hickory...mallet head of oak....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:02:48 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!