Author Topic: ring - not a clue can you help?  (Read 3196 times)

confused.com

• View Profile
ring - not a clue can you help?
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:49:20 pm »
Ok so I got this ring off of eBay. Sold as a lapis lazuli stone and possibly medieval. Now I've recieved it I'm completely stumped. I don't know anything at all. All I can say is its bronzey colour, has slight green tinges in nooks and crannies. The 'stone' is so well inserted I'm finding it hard to think it is a stone. Could it be painted wood?  Any thoughts? Sorry about camera quality. I'll find the ones it was sold to me with and post them too.
In fact no here is the eBay page.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-BEAUTIFUL-LAPIZ-LAZULI-RING-POSSIBLY-MEDIEVAL-BUT-NOT-100-SURE-/271124893969?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=GuB4kRlPmYYtWJk%2BP59yPdWTti8%3D&orig_cvip=tru
e&rt=nc

I'VE DONE THIS on my phone so sorry if it doesn't work out, ill look on the laptop tomorrow.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: ring - not a clue can you help?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:08:40 pm »
Pig in a poke....Send it back....ask for refund...for ..item not as described...ebay always finds for the buyer....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Buddie11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:32:14 pm »
Not a gem expert by any means, hard to tell from pic, maybe blue opal?

confused.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:57:19 pm »
Thanks for your help. I really think its blue painted wopd. It just looks like it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:45:07 am »
Doesn't look like any stone I have seen...but then I am having a hard time truly seeing it from the picture quality!  BigWull would be best to know your side of the pond!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:35:18 am »
Now that we are past the Pig in a Poke stage...what you first have to ascertain is...what materials is this pos "medievel"..ring made of,..and when in the last few weeks was it made....The seller has covered themselves,by saying ..they are not ..100% sure if it is medievel.....that statement ..would have done it for me....as it did for all the others who never bid....it only took one bid.....yours,.....
What we have to ask is...."who in their right mind sells a Medievel Lapis Lazuli ring that is 500+years old for £25....in a word.....No One.....which brings me back to ...seller description.....was the seller, saying,...No I,m not 100% sure its medievel...or...No I,m not 100% sure its ..Lapis Lazuli....and ..you are thinking..."what have i done"....have i bought a Pig in a Poke....personally if it was me...i,d call the sellers bluff..and say you want to return it...as it is not,as described...i.e. not lapis lazuli...then its up to the seller to prove that it is?.....

confused.com

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:20:22 am »
thanks I've emailed him. I'll await the reply and then I guess ill open a dispute. I googled pig in a poke as I had no idea what you were going on about and yes ill agree! That's what I've done. Also did you know it related to kittens being put in bags to fool farmers who wanted babies or pigs??!  :-\

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:08:17 am »
Well, I had never heard that so I have learned something !!  Do you possibly have a jeweler you can take the ring to have the stone checked ??

confused.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 04:39:51 am »
I have no idea whether any of the jewellers around me would be sincere. I'm in south London with tons of pawn shops and less creditable looking jewellery ones. Can anyone make any suggestions for the area?

Anyway, the seller will refund. Which is good. To be honest its not as aesthetically pleasing as I thought it would be and that's the main reason I bought it. It's the main reason I'm now interested in old bits and bobs. That and the mystery of where it came from and who its belonged to!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 11:55:29 am »
The mystery of where it came from...is not really a mystery....its probably China....they fake almost everything else...so why not your..500 year old Lapis Lazuli.ring.....but if you,re looking for somewhere reputable..sarf of the Thames...then try Roseberry,s.Auctioneers,.in Knights Hill...West Norwood.....i know the area well....i use to live in Tulse Hill....eons ago....but back to your Pig in a poke....its not often that the recipient of the poke ..has a chance to get his/her dosh back....forget the mystery....and as M.Miles use to say....take the money...... ;D

confused.com

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 12:12:38 pm »
How funny, I'm in Streatham.

And yes I know I'm lucky.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:30 pm »
I was there in 1969...and i worked in Brixton...Cold Harbour lane..to be exact..then...a few months later move to 29a Abbeville rd...in Clapham....i was 19...and the world was my oyster....but...the streets of London were,nt paved in gold..... ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 08:40:44 pm »
Very poetic Wullie!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!