Author Topic: Why don't lampshades sell?  (Read 1940 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Why don't lampshades sell?
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:17:12 am »
I've noticed that lamps I see at flea markets, auctions and antique shows never have shades with them. People that come to my garage sales don't seem to want the shades if they buy a lamp. The shades I have without lamps, nobody even looks at. What is this about lamp shades?

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Why don't lampshades sell?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:51:57 am »
Good question!!  I love lamps & shades , I upcycle the shades, and sometimes pull apart the lamps for different uses  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:32 am »
Outdated shades usually don`t sell !!  Either they just don`t go with someones decorating scheme or are the wrong color !!  Likewise damaged shades don`t sell even with an old lamp !!  People are just odd like that !!  If you have several shades and are having a garage sale,, try selling the lamp and just put "FREE" on a stack of shades and see if they will take one !!  That sometimes works because many people can`t resist if something is free !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:42:09 am »
I would give my old shades to a Lady that used part of the wire frame to make dream catchers out of. Most dealers would always leave the shade if they bought a lamp. The hassle of hauling a shade just wasn't worth the effort.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:01:19 pm »
It is just now becoming a slight trend to upcycle shades.  I laugh because on Pinterest some of the "hottest" styles is to take the bare bones of a lamp shade and add twigs, or paint chips, or paper, etc...to give it a whole new look.  AND as much as people like the look, it will not take off into etreme popularity.

The quickest way to modernize a lamp (and to put the new owner's touch on a lamp) is to put a new lampshade on it. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

caspert79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:43:27 pm »
I think most people (me too) are quite picky when it comes to lamp shades. I love old stuff, but most old lamp shades I find pretty depressing.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:14 am »
I buy those uno shades when I can find them. Those are the ones that have a thread that goes on the socket. They often have pictures or fringe. They were used on the bridge style floor lamp and sell like hotcake on the internet. I also save odd shades that I find for lamps that I may find later.  Drum and empire shades are rarely wanted. The drum shades are big and were popular in the 40s through the 60s and even the early 70s. The old burlap ones still sell for rustic uses like driftwood, nautical and Adirondack styles . The little ruffly shades for crystal boudoir lamps are very good sellers as are the lamps.  I have seen old drum shade frames made into all sorts of fixtures. I even saw one converted to a hanging pan and utensil rack and another as a plant support in a garden

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 10:24:21 am »
Frogpatch,, you just gave me an idea !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 03:38:45 pm »
Agree, the drum shades are the least desired by consumers.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 05:29:12 pm »
Wait till I get to my garden group !!  They may get quite popular !!