Author Topic: Help with a Russian Samovar  (Read 4178 times)

SuzyQ82

• View Profile
Re: Help with a Russian Samovar
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 07:12:38 pm »
I was shopping in the middle of Amish country Illinois, it was a pretty good find for around here too!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 07:17:23 pm »
Thanks! You've managed to figure out much more than I was able to. Mine is worth absolutely nothing. It's in miserable shape. I paid $20 for it and if I were comfortable with haggling I'm sure I could've paid considerably less. I don't care about monetary value, I think it's gorgeous. I actually left the store because I thought it was overpriced but I couldn't get it out of my head and I had to go back and get it. I appreciate your taking an interest in it too!
Good for you...and as you so rightly say...its not always about money....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 07:19:07 pm »
Excellent find !!  I will keep my eyes open here !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 09:14:53 pm »
Agree, definitely not a Russian Samovar.  You will find samovars from many countries and especially from Turkey, Iran, etc.

Antique Russian samovars do have a man's head - in fact you will find many of them stamped on pieces.  (However, not the same as this one!)  Old brass Russian Samovars (Coal heated) sell for $100 - $800+

Chances are the name stamped on this one was the distributor/store. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 05:11:48 am »

Antique Russian samovars do have a man's head - in fact you will find many of them stamped on pieces.  

Exhibition medal marks with dates. The one on ebay features the head of Alexander III.