Author Topic: Antique Art Nouveau Candle Holders  (Read 3372 times)

Anon

• View Profile
Antique Art Nouveau Candle Holders
« on: January 25, 2013, 02:04:53 pm »
I'm trying to find out anything I can on these candle holder. They look like brass but have been painted or plated. I can't really tell but some of it has peeled off leaving a dark metal (lead?) It also looks like they have gold paint lightly over them They are 5" tall & 4" at the base. I stuck them on the postage scale and one is 10oz. I think they are molded.
Honestly, how does one tell if what they have is 10 yrs old or 100??
I hope the pictures tell a story Thanks

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Art Nouveau Candle Holders
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 02:15:11 pm »
I doubt very much that they are made of lead...especially.. with them being..candle holders...lead as you probably know has a low melting point...i,d be more inclined to say they are spelter..which can be a zinc/copper alloy...also known as poor mans bronze...they have been cast...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Anon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:23:07 pm »
I doubt very much that they are made of lead...especially.. with them being..candle holders...lead as you probably know has a low melting point...i,d be more inclined to say they are spelter..which can be a zinc/copper alloy...also known as poor mans bronze...they have been cast...
Thank you. I'm from "the South" we say "molded"  :D Is there anyway from the picture that you could tell around how old they might be or are they something you have to put a hand on?
I mentioned lead as they are heavy for the size of them, but you said it better

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:58:28 pm »
They don't look antique to me. Cheap hollow casting and constructed in two parts.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:25:11 pm »
They are very poorly done and in no particular style, so guessing the age would be difficult !!  My guess would be late 60`s import somewhere around the time of the Mediterranean craze !!  Spelter or white metal is very heavy !! Quality pieces would not be painted and peeling !! To tell good from bad,, look at the decorative part, see how shallow the impression is ?? Lines are not crisp and sharp and look like a kid with a crayon drew them !!
Just google art nouveau candlesticks and use google images to look at how some of the nice ones were done !!

Anon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:32:39 am »
They are very poorly done and in no particular style, so guessing the age would be difficult !!  My guess would be late 60`s import somewhere around the time of the Mediterranean craze !!  Spelter or white metal is very heavy !! Quality pieces would not be painted and peeling !! To tell good from bad,, look at the decorative part, see how shallow the impression is ?? Lines are not crisp and sharp and look like a kid with a crayon drew them !!
Just google art nouveau candlesticks and use google images to look at how some of the nice ones were done !!

I know the Mediterranean crazy you're talking about . It was more early to mid 70s. I know, I was there at the time and remember the homes that were decorated that way. The picture  I inserted was typical of that style. Most had plastic "wood" inserts for decorations and lots of black iron, too.

Not to argue and perhaps they are  cheap  & poorly done but they aren't  from the 60s. Actually the impression goes right into the underside.  I can see why the other poster said they were two pieces, maybe from my picture but they are just one piece.

I called my mother who gave them to me and she remembers them from her grandfathers as a kid place in Hartford Connecticut at least back in the 1930s .

But thanks for your opins, anyway. I guess need to learn to take better photos

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 08:17:25 pm »
I am 63 so I have also "been there" with many styles as well as dealt with them !! What I am referring to started in southern California in late 60`s and even before that as Spanish Revival, Mediterranean, and for lack of a better term,, something I call Mission Gothic !!  The latter is what I mean about your candlesticks !!  Most pieces were designed simply to fill a sales gap and fit no criteria as far as style goes !! They were heavily made, unlike the scrolling ironwork of the revival pieces and usually had elements that didn`t seem to go with what they were making !! Like your candlesticks,, scalloped top that is somewhat floral shaped, and below that a sort of heart shape in the design, and  heavy base with sharp edges !! Put all together and it just doesn`t fit anything !!
The pic you added is not what I am referring to !! It is similar to what was sold in the south for the Mediterranean style but its only remotely close !! Not talking about the bentwood Windsor or Thonet type chairs !! The California style was much different !!
If you really want to know what the metal is just take one to a jewelry store or a pawn shop !! They usually can identify most metals since people bring all types in to sell !!  They have to know what they are !!

Anon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 08:27:36 pm »
"I am 63 "

Oh...I'm not that old

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:37:27 pm »
LOL  Didn`t mean that !!   Your post sounded like you thought I was younger !!  I got a lot of miles on this old chassis !!

Anon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 08:58:42 pm »
Gotcha  ;D...but I'm still not as old as u

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 09:26:22 pm »
Like a fine wine,, I am just well aged !! LOL

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 05:29:12 am »
but you soon will be....and when you are 63...you,ll look back....and think....gee...that was f******...quick...and you might remember these words....i,m 62...and only last year...i was 40.....now you enjoy your life...and don,t wish an hour of it away.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Anon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 10:12:33 am »
but you soon will be....and when you are 63...you,ll look back....and think....gee...that was f******...quick...and you might remember these words....i,m 62...and only last year...i was 40.....now you enjoy your life...and don,t wish an hour of it away.....

Yes, but until then............
Life is fun..it doesn't owe me anything.  I try to keep laughing, find the absurd in most everything..and try not to take what the peeps tell you on this board to heart  ;)