Author Topic: Stumped by original Japanese Geisha fabric painting  (Read 2300 times)

ejhmmm

• View Profile
Stumped by original Japanese Geisha fabric painting
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:14:18 pm »
I bought this at an antique outdoor sale - the woman who sold it to me said she was selling it for a friend who is a collector and therefore she didn't have any information.  To me the fabric looks very old and aged but the painting looks bright and newer which is odd.  I can't figure out the signature/stamp on the lower right.  I can see the texture of the paint/ink so I know it's an original.

I have searched other Geisha paintings and can't find anything that matches it though it appears to be classic Geisha pose.  I have contacted a local art gallery and am awaiting their reply.  It's about 11"x14".  I'm afraid to take it out of the frame so don't know what might be on the back.

Any info in regards to history, value, name of artist?  Thanks!

Ipcress

Re: Stumped by original Japanese Geisha fabric painting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:45:30 am »
Looks rather generic to me but the key to this type of work is in the signature - possibly one of the seal stamps.
The image isn't too clear but the top red seal appears to be the standard one for Dai Nippon or " Great Japan "
The fabric / material used could be a thick rice paper - sometimes these are on rice paper so thin you cannot believe they managed to paint on it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:17:13 pm »
Texture doesnt look like rice paper,, possibly silk !! Its not unusual for the untreated silk to age and darken where it was unpainted !!  Many times the backing is the cause since they were not backed with acid free materials !!  It is a pretty common item and like Ipcress said,, sometimes it just says where it is from !!  Even though its hand painted,, many of these were done !!

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 08:47:01 pm »
I've seen rice paper look like that, and the manner in which it has rippled is akin to paper which has been damp

Could well be silk. Difficult with these pics.

Still looks fairly standard though but i would have the seals checked in case

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:25:23 am »
I agree !!  Chop marks are so faded they are hard to see !!

ejhmmm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 08:08:00 pm »
Thanks!  I didn't spend much on it, I really bought it because I thought it was very cool.  I appreciate the advice, I heard back from the art gallery and they are referring me an Asian art expert in town. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 08:21:12 pm »
Keep us updated !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 10:57:53 pm »
From what I think I'm seeing , I'd opine that it was made post-war (WW2) , just by it's frame .... bummer that it's got some issues ... but I'll bet a bright shiney nickle that it would look much better if straightened-out & cleaned !

Cool piece of decor , ejhm !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "