Author Topic: Old Lithograph of the Virgin of Guadalupe - Mexico  (Read 1469 times)

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
Old Lithograph of the Virgin of Guadalupe - Mexico
« on: February 12, 2013, 12:49:07 am »
Hi there!  We have a few items in the shop that we need some help finding information on.  We have googled the heck out of these and have come up dry - sometimes I have no idea what to even search for so ANY help is appreciated!  We will list these in 4 seperate posts just to keep the responses organized.  Thank you ahead of time for the help!

Third we have a cool little lithograph clipping.  It appears to have age and have been of importance to someone as it is framed and the frame has been welded closed in the back.  The back has a tag reading "Imagen de la virgen de guadalupe ... Litografia ... Mexico, Siglo XIX" which translates to "Image of the Virgin of Guadalupe ... Lithograph ... Mexico, Siglo XIX".  We are interested in information on what type of clipping this is, its age and whether it is valuable or just a keepsake.  The frame measures approx. 4" tall by 3" wide just to give a rough idea on the size.  Thank you!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Old Lithograph of the Virgin of Guadalupe - Mexico
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:20:42 am »
OK, I'll go out on a limb. I'd say it looks like a souvenir card from a pilgrim to Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico. From the evidence I'll say further that it's from 1919. Someone framed it as a souvenir/reminder of a pilgrimage.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:18:07 am »
Looks like a card to me too !! It looks like hand made paper or could be cloth !!  Hard to tell !!

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:55:43 pm »
Thanks for the responses!  It appears to be a thick paper under close examination.  Has anyone seen anything similar to this anywhere online?  I'm stumped on value if any. 

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:20:32 pm »
Looks like hand made paper to me. On contemporary screenprints and lithos they use a quality wove paper.
This has a similar rough look. Colours look right for 19th century.

However, also fairly easy to produce in this manner to make something appear older than it is.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:38:05 pm »
As to value,, probably under $10. !!