Author Topic: Pitcher?  (Read 4420 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Pitcher?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 07:48:38 pm »
My first thought was pink Floyd ,but I'll go grateful dead.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo....the Album is...In the Court of the Crimson King..by King Crimson...they were Progressive Rock pioneers...and their opening track from this album..will blow you away...21st Century Schidzoid Man.....listen to it here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujIbpt-CCTY
 then listen to ..in the Court of the Crimson King....the lyrics are awesome...I first heard them when i was 20...that was 42 years ago..and i still listen to them every other week...and here is a pic of a tobacco box that i made 30 odd years ago...its a little tin box covered in matchsticks..then i got an artist friend to draw the album cover on it..he only used felt tip pens...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 08:32:57 pm »
Pretty sure your pitcher is from Dallas Baptist University !!  Colors are red white and blue !! Perhaps what looks like black is dark blue ??   Colors were black and gold and I think that started in 1968 and changed to red, white and blue in 1980 !!
This is probably a commemorative piece that he was given by the school !!  It is likely from somewhere around those dates !!  Might tell age if we could see whats on the bottom !!  May have a mfr`s mark !!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:06:50 pm by mart »

Buddie11

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 10:05:08 pm »
Such a Canadian boy,April wine did a great version of that song,and don't forget the prince of darkness on your side of the pond,bigwull. In 69 I was -7 years old! Very cool smoke tin.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 09:48:51 am »
I think Mart nailed the pitcher.

As far as King Crimson goes (R.I.P. btw, but only recently), the song is, of course, "Epitaph." I think "Confusion" would be good for alot of epitaphs around here..... ;D

Great album cover. I think it was the only one ever done by Barry Goodber, who freakishly died right after it came out.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:08 pm »
Pretty sure your pitcher is from Dallas Baptist University !!  Colors are red white and blue !! Perhaps what looks like black is dark blue ??   Colors were black and gold and I think that started in 1968 and changed to red, white and blue in 1980 !!
This is probably a commemorative piece that he was given by the school !!  It is likely from somewhere around those dates !!  Might tell age if we could see whats on the bottom !!  May have a mfr`s mark !!
Doubt it.  This was my grandparents and they had it LONG before 1969,  probably got it before 1929.

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 12:38:27 pm »
Can you take a pic of the bottom of the pitcher,,Please !!  This appears to be an award type pitcher that was given !!
[/quote
there is nothing on the bottom except the raised diamond shape pattern that is on the outside of the pitcher.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 03:26:59 pm »
From the GBU website:

WHO IS GBU?

GBU Financial Life (GBU) was founded as an ethnic German fraternal organization on April 13, 1892, by German immigrants who settled in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Originally named the Deutscher Unterstuetzungs-Bund or German Beneficial Union, the purpose of the society was to provide financial security, fraternalism and social activities to its members.

The pattern is "Diamond with Peg" by Jefferson Glass Company I believe.
http://www.mainelyglass.com/jefferson-diamond-with-peg-custard-glass-pitcher-tumblers
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:38:47 pm by Rauville »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 04:48:42 pm »
Excellent Rauville !!  I would have sworn that it looked like a school logo !!  Been pruning fruit trees today so haven`t had time to look for anything else !!  Should have asked what area the person was in !!  Not everyone lives in Texas I guess !!

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 03:43:10 pm »
From the GBU website:

WHO IS GBU?

GBU Financial Life (GBU) was founded as an ethnic German fraternal organization on April 13, 1892, by German immigrants who settled in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Originally named the Deutscher Unterstuetzungs-Bund or German Beneficial Union, the purpose of the society was to provide financial security, fraternalism and social activities to its members.

The pattern is "Diamond with Peg" by Jefferson Glass Company I believe.
http://www.mainelyglass.com/jefferson-diamond-with-peg-custard-glass-pitcher-tumblers

Thank you!!!  My grandparents were from the Pittsburg area and my grandfather was of German descent.  That must be it.  Now I just have to figure out how he got it and why!  Thanks again.