Author Topic: new to the forum and many questions!  (Read 3571 times)

ryan27

• View Profile
new to the forum and many questions!
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:17:25 pm »
I have recently inherited a house FULL of antiques. Some stuff I would say a majority of these are 40s-60s but also have items from the late 1800s to early 1900's I need a lot of help finding the monetary value, and I am also very interested in what they are and where they are from. I have a good idea about most of these things but Ill start with dolls. Before I do, please let me know what your interests are because I have some of EVERYTHING! (well almost everything, I'm sure I don't have everything but i do have a lot)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:22:36 pm by ryan27 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: new to the forum and many questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:45 pm »
..our interests are everything...big or small, ...but No Maps please... ;D....
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:53:42 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:34:01 pm »
I like your dolls. Very interesting. Do you know the background of any of them or have you researched any of these?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 05:37:25 pm »
Your pictures are not clear when blown up. I can't see them well enough.

ryan27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:40:35 pm »
They are hard to research when you know nothing about them. most of them dont have text on the. I do know about the doll with the black and white woman in one. Its called a topy-turvy doll "African American slave women may have given dolls like these to their daughters as a preparation for a possibility of a life devoted to nurturing two babies: one black and one white. Topsy-turvy dolls are designed for children to play with one baby at a time, and this accurately reflects the division of caregiving that African American women encountered, having to care for white children during the day and their own children at night. These handmade dolls are important, creative expressions of those otherwise silent women we know only as "mammy." -WIKIPEDIA

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile

ryan27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 06:19:47 pm »
This one is significantly older than the one in the link. age plays a great role in value. Her is a close up of this doll. Some have gone for hundreds, some for thousands. newer dolls are worthless. I dont know when this doll dates

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:44:42 pm »
Interesting collection.
A couple of your other dolls that deserve a closer look are the bisque headed boy with the sleep eyes (left hand first photo), and the molded all bisque character boy with the hat (lower r/h second photo). Check for country of origin and marks on their necks or backs.
I see some older china heads, Frozen Charlotte, 5-piece bisque, etc. that are interesting. Originality is a big issue with the older china head and bisque dolls. Many of them were restored years ago with mismatched bodies or limbs. It almost takes a hand on examination to be sure.
Good Luck with your treasures.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:06:41 pm »
This one is significantly older than the one in the link. age plays a great role in value. Her is a close up of this doll. Some have gone for hundreds, some for thousands. newer dolls are worthless. I dont know when this doll dates

Age is not the only determining factor !!  How are you dating this doll ??

ryan27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 07:33:24 pm »
I dont know when my doll was made. My statement was that it is significantly older than the one in the photo in the ebay link

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 02:00:50 am »
"This one is significantly older"...how do you know,you have to be able to back that up...if someone wanted to buy this, and they had no knowledge,then it would be up to you as the seller to provide that knowledge...otherwi se it is worthless,You,d be amazed at what the Chinese can make...

ryan27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 04:00:56 am »
you can easily tell just by looking at the fabric!!! Im not dumb. look at the fabric in the ebay link the other user listed, and look at it in the picture I took. plus look at how the face was applied. if you cant tell the age difference just by looking at the two then please dont bother trying to help. did you even look at the link im referencing??? I dont care what china can do, the two are completely different in era!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 04:08:58 am »
Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning..I,m not saying your dumb,all i,m doing is doing what a prospective buyer might do,...if you can,t back up your comment..then it could have been made yesterday... ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 09:57:04 am »
Well, I have just looked at a bunch of these and since I do know styles and what was used over the years I would date these dolls as no older than late 30`s or 40`s !!  As far as value,, maybe $20. Only the older dolls that date around 1900 or before have much value and even those are not selling !!  From what I can see yours shows little sign of age other that what I have given !!