Author Topic: Denby dinnerware advice  (Read 2216 times)

a_gunslinger

• View Profile
Denby dinnerware advice
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:59:29 am »
So we inherited a lot of Denby dinnerware (thought to be 40s-70's).  I am having some trouble finding any Denby-specific forums and information on valueing it.  Ebay a little help but not much.  Can anyone point us in the right direction to getting started determining if any of these many pieces have value?  Many thanks!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Denby dinnerware advice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:10:52 am »
Please post a picture or two. Until then Repalcements Unlimited is a good place to begin.

http://www.replacements.com/china/den.htm?s1=KX&3637497&gclid=COGu0qqz7bUCFYqf4AodrXIAiQ

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:01:16 pm »
A picture of the backstamp would be helpful !! Most companies changed their mark a few times over the years and you can often date the set by the mark !!

Cruiser13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:00:16 pm »
I worked at Denby China in Los Angeles in the 70's. I was in charge of all marketing and  inventory. If you let me  know which pattern you have, I will attempt to assist!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:04:49 pm »
Excellent Cruiser13 !!  I am sure she would appreciate the help !! Thanks !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:28:19 pm »
Or she could look here...

http://www.keystones.co.uk/
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

a_gunslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:44:15 am »
Thanks for all the replies and assistance.  The stamp shows Denby England and here is a shot of the silverware.  We still have to go thru a bunch of dinnerware boxes.  More pictures to follow.  My wife believes it all very valuable (ie worth much time itemizing and selling on ebay).  Im not convinced the time and effort are equal the work that will be involved and lean more toward donating to a collector ;^)  value is always relative to the buyer - juts want to make sure we dont actually have a few sought after pieces as we begin to open all these boxes.

http://emermed.net/staging/forums/denby1.jpg

http://emermed.net/staging/forums/denby2.jpg

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:07:58 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:58:37 pm »
Looks like this topic can be put to bed...Well done KC...I was barking up the wrong tree....again,,,,a box of these to you..

a_gunslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 08:56:41 am »
Not quite to bed yet ;^)  But all very good leads.  So I have many more boxes coming in I think - plates, bowls, silverware. As a husband (smile) I dont really want to spend 20 years selling a fork or plate at a time.  Is there any bulk value here?  I dont want to step over all this Denby in my garage for themext 2o years  ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:04:43 am »
Irrespective of what you may think they are worth,..my advice would be to sell the cutlery, as a job lot, or however many place settings you have,..because as you say..you don,t want to be pussy footing around selling them individually..ant then i feel you,ll have a far greater chance of selling them...and then its only a case of,deciding how much you want...but the market will decide how much you actually get...if they have not eaten any of your corn then..sell them for whatever you can get....or...stick them back in your garage and let your relatives sell them after you,ve popped your clogs...

a_gunslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 09:33:11 am »
Thanks!  I dont really knwo what these phrases mean but regrdless, they made me laugh:

"f they have not eaten any of your corn" and

"after you,ve popped your clogs..."

:D