Author Topic: Birks powder jar...no lid?  (Read 1453 times)

aabbccbb1

Birks powder jar...no lid?
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:20:03 pm »
Hey guys,

I've got another thrift find: a cut crystal and sterling Birks powder jar.  One problem: there isn't a lid.  However, most of the Birks vanity jars I've seen have lids that screw-on to the crystal directly, and they don't have the permanently attached sterling ring that's on mine.  So, am I missing a piece, or do some of these jars come without them?  (I didn't find any similar items in my searches...)

Also, thoughts on fair market value as-is?  The ones with lids go for ~$200...

Thanks a bunch!

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:32:19 pm by aabbccbb1 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Birks powder jar...no lid?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:28:37 pm »
Looks like this one had a stopper type lid !!  Let me look a bit !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 09:07:29 pm »
Probably something similar but I think the one you found is a lid to a hair receiver rather than a powder jar !!  I looked on ebay but very few that I looked at showed the underside well !!  No matter how the lid fit stopper type or just sat over the collar on top,, its a nice find !!  Forgot to say Birks is a Canadian Company that has been in business a  while !! So yours may well be ABC glass !!

aabbccbb1

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:11:27 am »
Forgive my ignorance, but what's ABC glass?  And would you say I should just try to sell it as-is, or try to find a matching lid first?  I was thinking of starting it at $50, given that the ones with lids sell for ~$200.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:45:24 am »
Unfortunately, items missing lids usually lose more value than that. Lids can make or break a sale! $25.00 is probably more realistic.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 06:07:48 am »
If you looked at ebay,, not many were selling, and those that were were the extremely nice ones !!  ABC glass is American Brilliant Cut but yours may also be pressed glass ,,, hard to tell from a pic  !! I think Ghopper is correct on what it should be started at $25.  Could be someone broke their jar and needs a bottom !!

aabbccbb1

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:03:18 pm »
The glass is crystal, and has been cut; the edges are sharp, and you can see facets in the work.  The facets mean it was cut by hand, correct?  And would that indicate that it's likely from the Victorian age?

So if it were you, would you buy a lid at $50-75 to try and sell at $200, or sell at $25 as is?  (I only paid $3 or 4 for it).  The Birks jars do seem to sell, and at a good price...

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:14:57 pm by aabbccbb1 »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 01:21:34 pm »
If you can find a lid for that price,  then sell the whole thing for $200,  then I'd do it. People are lazy and like the convenience of someone else doing the legwork.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

aabbccbb1

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:14 am »
Perfect, will do!  I went back to the store to see if they'd just been separated, but no luck.  :(