Author Topic: antique chandler?  (Read 1644 times)

afox

antique chandler?
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:57:51 pm »

Hello I have this chandler that has been in my grandmothers house for years. I have never seen another one of these can anyone tell me the value of this? or any info on exactly what this is. thanks for your time!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: antique chandler?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:36:11 pm »
Looks like an oil/kerosene lamp that has been wired at some point. Beyond that I'm lost. 

Have you checked it over for markings?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 07:46:22 pm »
Frogpatch is our lighting expert !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:37:29 am »
As Sapphire said, it is a "kerosene hanging lamp" that has been electrified.

Yours was made to "pull down" from the ceiling to light, fill with oil, etc, and then raised back up to the desired height.

There were dozens of manufacturers of kersosene lighting fixtures and the best source for finding out "who made it" or to "date it" is to research the old wholesale/retail "trade-supply catalogs", ..... Sears Roebuck, etc.

Of course, locating copies of those old "supply house" catalogs is a chore in itself.

The wife has a "wholesale" catalog that is titled .... Baltimore Bargain House that is 9 1/2" X 13" X 5/8" in size and contains 320 pages and is the "Spring 1908" edition ... which retailers would order their goods from..

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 07:29:41 am »
These cast-iron counter weighted Eastlake styled fixtures generally fall under the "Lomax" named category of antique lamps. They can date back to the mid-1870's, and were named for the inventor of the "oil guard" type of kerosene lamp. (The raised band of glass around the outer edge of the font prevented kerosene spills.)
http://www.royslamps.com/allfiles/lomax/lomax.html
At the time they were considered too plain for the formal parlor and were usually used in the kitchen. In all original state they are somewhat of a rarity today. Lamp collectors have also applied the name "Iron Horse" to this style of fixture.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:29:51 am by Rauville »

afox

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:43:45 am »
thank you! i can not find any markings of any kind on this! i have some ppl that are interested in buying a few antique things of my grandmas and i just am lost as a price on what to give them. are these rare at all? what kind of value would this have??

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:03:14 pm »
thank you! i can not find any markings of any kind on this! i have some ppl that are interested in buying a few antique things of my grandmas and i just am lost as a price on what to give them. are these rare at all? what kind of value would this have??

Reproductions of this type can be had for around $400...Unfortunately, it's difficult to get that much for the vintage ones. In my area, $250 to $300 would be a fair price for an original example in good condition without damage or repairs.

afox

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 12:31:24 pm »
Thanks!!