Author Topic: Antique table  (Read 5451 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique table
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 11:04:07 am »
That crossmember looks like solid mahogany !! Going to take a lot more than a few dishes to break or bend that !! And figure 3 shows that it extends through the crossmember to the table top !! So center stress would be on the leg not the crossmember !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 11:31:58 am »
That crossmember looks like solid mahogany !! Going to take a lot more than a few dishes to break or bend that !! And figure 3 shows that it extends through the crossmember to the table top !! So center stress would be on the leg not the crossmember !!
Thats my argument,it serves no purpose to extend through the crossmember...if anything it weakens the cross member,...and as for taking a lot more dishes...thats not why that centre leg is there,that centre leg is to give strength to the frame...not to hold up the dishes,....and as for stress on the leg...there is no stress on it..the stress will be on whatever method of fixing has been used to attach the leg to the crossmember.....it just looks wrong....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 05:04:34 pm »
I think someone's been in the workshop and made themselves a table out of parts.

tenroh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 05:33:59 pm »
i few more pics - to keep the debate going - although Im leaning towards its 2 different tables at this point the mech and leaves belong to one table and the table itself is another

tenroh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 05:35:22 pm »
a few more

Ipcress

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:19 pm »
Yeah, those legs have surely been added on.

It's been restored.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 06:06:22 pm »
Mart...are you getting this.... ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 04:48:52 am »
After looking at all the pictures I've decided that table is all original.

It is the way it was made.

Like Mart said, the old timers didn't throw the scrap pieces into the woodburning stove ....... before they were used to make the furniture.  ;D ;D ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 04:58:10 am »
After looking at all the pictures I've decided that table is all original.

It is the way it was made.

Like Mart said, the old timers didn't throw the scrap pieces into the woodburning stove ....... before they were used to make the furniture.  ;D ;D ;D
yeah...you can pull the other one its got bells on it...even the owner thinks its a  bitsa....and if you could just take off yer rose tinted specs and see it for what it really is....you might learn from it.... ;D ;D..as for fuel for my woodburner...well, this "original"table would be right in it...and any other junk pieces that seem to find their way on to here, Burn them all, ..make way for something half decent...."its a bit like when I hit a pheasant on the road,..what I,ve done is help stop the stupid genes getting passed on...well its the same with "this Cogar backed original table"..its made of scrap wood...your words not mine... ;D...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:10:42 am by bigwull »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 07:04:37 am »
...even the owner thinks its a  bitsa....
The owner didn't have a clue, ...... but you all have since convinced him of that being a possibility.

Now Bigwull, after seeing the 2nd photo in Reply #18 ….. are you not willing to retract what you stated in the following, to wit:

(exerted from Bigwull’s Reply #13) ..... furthermor e, that centre leg,should,nt go through that trans member,..it defeats the purpose of it being there, that leg is for support,...so why have it go through what its supposed to be holding up....this table has been butchered at some point....if it has,nt ..then i,ll eat ghopper,s shorts

Bigwull, that center leg would have been the 1st thing to "break loose" and fall in the floor if not for it being stabilized by its mortising thru the "trans member" board.   

Now the table top, the skirt and the legs may have been "stripped" at sometime in the past ..... or ...... the top and the base may be from 2 different tables, ....... but I don't see any "signs" of the base being rebuilt "to fit".

Cheers

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 07:49:30 am »
...even the owner thinks its a  bitsa....
The owner didn't have a clue, ...... but you all have since convinced him of that being a possibility.

Now Bigwull, after seeing the 2nd photo in Reply #18 ….. are you not willing to retract what you stated in the following, to wit:

(exerted from Bigwull’s Reply #13) ..... furthermor e, that centre leg,should,nt go through that trans member,..it defeats the purpose of it being there, that leg is for support,...so why have it go through what its supposed to be holding up....this table has been butchered at some point....if it has,nt ..then i,ll eat ghopper,s shorts

Bigwull, that center leg would have been the 1st thing to "break loose" and fall in the floor if not for it being stabilized by its mortising thru the "trans member" board.   

Now the table top, the skirt and the legs may have been "stripped" at sometime in the past ..... or ...... the top and the base may be from 2 different tables, ....... but I don't see any "signs" of the base being rebuilt "to fit".

Cheers
..Let me get this straight..1st .you stated that this table was "original"..then you said it could have been made from "scrap "pieces of wood,...now you are saying that it could be 2 different tables...Which brings us back to my thinking...,..this table has been made from parts of 2 or more tables...... ;D ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 02:36:57 pm »
Now Bigwull your knowledge and experience in/of "cabinetmaking" appears to be quite limited because the use of a "scrap" piece of wood left over from a previous project does not negate the "original construction" of a new project.

I will assume you were drinking "that signature Malt" when you were composing your previous post.  ;) ;) ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 04:30:35 pm »
Cogar..you might be amazed at what level of knowledge i have when it comes to all things wooden....but i,m not very good when it comes to gobbledygook.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 05:13:23 pm »
Its correct as it is !!    !! Many with a lighter finish just darken from use especially pine !!  If all of the leaves are exactly the same tone and close in color,, its possibly refinished unless they had a really large family and used all of them at once !! And,, farm families not only fed their children but also their help so a table this size is not uncommon at all !!  Looked up several yesterday on Canadian Kijiji !! Only in recent years have dining sets became smaller !!  Since the birth control pill the American family is about a third as large as it used to be !! 40`s and 50`s 4 to 6 children was average !!  Now its 1 1/2 !!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 05:22:26 pm »
If they had had TV,s in the 40,s...then the population would have been a lot less...me and Avril have 6 between us.one for her and five for me...and there were times when i wished i,d  been able to afford a TV...i could have saved myself a fortune.... ;D