Author Topic: Fenton Carnival Glass?  (Read 7070 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Fenton Carnival Glass?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 04:40:10 am »
Oh !! That is called the foot of the bowl and looks like a glazing fault rather than a worn spot !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 04:53:07 am »
That is a "blemish" in the glass.

And here is a Northwood original at this link ...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/122901013/northwood-carnival-glass-bowl-purple

Wth 5 pictures of it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:10:28 am by cogar »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 05:54:18 am »
There are considerable differences in the pattern of the two bowls !!  Do you know Cogar if they changed the mold at any time ??  The one on etsy has the vining different and the grapes on the one here are more erratic ect !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 06:52:13 am »
There are considerable differences in the pattern of the two bowls !!  Do you know Cogar if they changed the mold at any time ??  The one on etsy has the vining different and the grapes on the one here are more erratic ect !!

You can compare their variations here: www.ddoty.com/grapecablebowls

(As far as that "spot" in the photo... I'm sure that's some of the liquid metallic salts which are sprayed onto the surface while hot, giving the iridescent lustre that makes it Carnival, that dripped down on the foot. ???)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 09:39:42 am »
So at current prices this bowl would be worth between $60. and $150. depending on if its called purple or blue ??
$60. to $100. if purple and $125. to $150. if blue ??  Its hard to tell true color on a computer !!

owzitgarn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 12:48:19 pm »
Wow, thanks for the help everyone!

Its hard to tell what colour it is even not on photos, its like a turquoisey blue mixed with purple....almost like when you see diesel on the road.

If any kind of light gets underneath the basket- weave shows through, and if you hold it up to strong light the whole bowl glows orange.

The basket- weave itself is a mix of bronze and purple, highlighted in with the turquoise.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »
Don`t think about selling it till others take a look !! That Marigold bowl is (I think) a pretty pricy one !!  It is one of the rare colors !! Post a couple of the other items if you want,, we can take a look !! You might be surprised at some of those things !!  They can be small treasures !! Just do one or two per thread so we can keep them straight and research properly !!

owzitgarn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 01:09:39 pm »
Thanks Mart

I've got a few photos of the other glass pieces I mentioned.

None of them are marked so any help with them would be fantastic

I`ll post the blue tinted ones in another thread as they seemed the most unusual

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 01:17:27 pm »
Excellent !!  Wendy and some of the others are great on glassware !! 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 02:56:49 am »
There are considerable differences in the pattern of the two bowls !!  Do you know Cogar if they changed the mold at any time ?? 

It was that "considerable differences" and absece of a "mark" that makes me dubious of it being a Northwood pattern.

Old glass molds are often modified but seldom thrown away. Thus, when it comes to Carnival Glass, ..... it might be a per say Northwood piece or it might be a Northwood pattern made by whoever owns the mold. And no "mark" and differences in the pattern suggests it might be a faked "repo".

Mart, the best way for me to answer your question is to point you to this site:

http://www.ddoty.com/makermarks.html

And read the 1st one titled ... Northwood .... and then skip on down and read the two (2) titled ..... L.G. Wright "N" Mark ...... and ..... L.G. Wright Modified "N" Mark

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 08:26:56 am »
Thats an excellent site !!  But I looked at the contemporary and fake listings and it doesn`t mention a bowl but I am sure they were made !!  This possibly is Northwood unmarked !! It would be nice to see another with the same pattern to be sure !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 06:46:06 pm »
You all don't need me!! This is I would say Northwood old school but unmarked! I have the exact pattern in one of my books but the edge is ruffled. Northwood made several variations to the grape & cable pattern and over 40 shapes. As far as color To tell the true color of  a piece of carnival glass hold the piece up to strong light; The base color you see is the color of the piece, The colors given off by the iridescence have little or  nothing to do with the true color of the glass. Cogar is right on with the spot on the bottom liquid metallic salts which are sprayed onto the surface  that dripped down on the foot or pooled when placed on stand.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 07:13:27 pm »
Oh yes we do !!  Go look at that blue set !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »
That blue set is gonna take a lot of research and time  :)

owzitgarn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 03:00:53 am »
Thanks Wendy!

When it's held up to strong light all the colours disappear and the whole bowls glows orange/marigold