Author Topic: Who were these sculptures of antiques?  (Read 1574 times)

Legmog

• View Profile
Who were these sculptures of antiques?
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:27:27 am »
Hi people :)

So I remember years ago, watching an episode or the Antiques Roadshow. On it, and item being shown was a sculpture / model (something like china or porcelain) of some kind of bird. I believe it was a dove.

This model of the Dove was highly streamlined and minimalistic . This was many years ago, so my memory is a little hazy. The expert, as I remember, said this was made by famous guy (or maybe it was brothers?) who (as I seem to remember, was French, but perhaps I'm wrong about that) was known to have a very distinct style, in which he/ they would base their models off things (such as animals and objects ) in the real world, but they would like..... Strip them back, and make the shape of whatever they were modelling as simple as possible.
So in the case of the Dove, it did not have intricate details nor was there any attempt at making it a 100% replica of what a Dove truly looks like. It looked simplistic and smooth, almost kind of cartoony.

So my question is.... Who is the person who made what I've described? I really like the idea of stripping something back to its most simplistic form, and I'd love to find out who this person is, so I could look at other examples of their work :)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Who were these sculptures of antiques?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:33 am »
You're post is pretty vague. Have you seen any photos of the bird you're attempting to describe?

That said, the sculptor sounds kind of like Brancusi.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:37:47 am »
Could be many things - Jacques Adnet ?

even something modern like Lladro if it was the AR show in the US.

Would need better info  ;D

Legmog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26:58 am »
Hey, thanks for the response :)

I looked at Brancusi... I don't think it is though. Some of his stuff, especially his work of human faces is there, but I think he's perhaps a little too abstract for the artist I'm looking for.

I've done a quick google search.. None of the images are the right one, but quite a lot of them are very similar!

Here's some examples....

http://www.artparks.co.uk/artpark_sculpture.php?sculpture=1893&sculptor=ray_castell

This one is perhaps a little too 'blocky', but the 'essence' is still there ^^

http://www.etsy.com/listing/125415023/brass-bird-sculpture-decorative

http://www.tenthousandvillages.ca/shop/en/sculptures/6109136-inquisitive-bird-sculpture.html

That one is perhaps a little 'too stripped down' .... The maker I'm thinking of didn't go quite so far with making a bird appear minimal....

But yeah.... Sorry I can't be more specific.... I literally saw the episode on TV about 5 years ago or more, and it just randomly popped back into my head the other day! :)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:12 pm »
Would it have been Jean Arp?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 05:43:53 pm »
Not knowing what material was used in the sculpture I couldn`t even guess !! But your description, to me, sounds like some bronzes from the Art Deco period I have seen !!  They were simplistic but very graceful !! Now to remember who made them !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:25 pm »
Not what you're lookin for; but to me, no one was more minimalistic in his work than Alexander Calder. (And I do remember a couple of his smaller pieces on AR.)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:59:23 am »
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/howardelliottagedglazeredbirdsculpture.cfm?source=pla&adtype=pla&kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=HE1728&gclid=CICu9rr4sLYCFcRQOgodKHAASw

This is not the one I had in mind but is this simplistic form more what you are talking about ??  Just lacking the fine details ??
Might I ask why you are looking for this after 5 or so years ??  Just curious !!