Author Topic: Inherited some old Spurs, 4 different types  (Read 5349 times)

Mr_Dunev

• View Profile
Inherited some old Spurs, 4 different types
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:24:09 pm »
So I recently was given a bunch of antiques from my father, and with them were 4 pairs of spurs all different styles.
These were taken with an IPhone so I apologize for the poor quality. Any information about them would be awesome!

Thanks

No markings, hand cut (in my opnion), and fairly heavy. Only pair without a buckle. I thought they were silver, but no matter how hard I looked couldn't find a silver mark.

Don't know much except the spikes rotate, and the buckle still moves, although stiff.

These ones are pretty simple, only ones without some sort of spike on them, they are just smooth circles.

These ones MIGHT be silver, they are the only ones with any type of markings. They say GRC SS or NS hard to see and I don't have a magnifying glass.

I also got an old leather whip, that is SUPER stiff, and permanently in a loop, probably doesn't help that it has been looped with zip-ties for 20+ years, but I didn't bother taking a pic of it.

If anyone know anything about western/horse riding memorabilia I would be very thankful. I have another dozen or so items ranging from knives, to pocket watches, to jewel encrusted medals, and an old asian chest. that I will be asking about in the next couple days. So if your knowledgeable in any of those fields, thank you ahead of time!!!

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Inherited some old Spurs, 4 different types
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:59:59 pm »
Cool spurs , MrDunev .

I'd suggest that the one(s) bearing the "GRC" mark (Gendarmerie Royale du Canada) came from that source ....

What part of the world are you in , geography-wise ?

Sometimes the mark 'NS' stands for nickle-silver , a useful metal .
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:14:41 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:04:06 pm »
I agree...interesting .
The first pair with the large rowels would probably be called "Gaucho Spurs", maybe from Argentina. Most likely made from some nickle alloy.

Mr_Dunev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 12:06:54 am »
Cool spurs , MrDunev .

I'd suggest that the one(s) bearing the "GRC" mark (Gendarmerie Royale du Canada) came from that source ....

What part of the world are you in , geography-wise ?

Sometimes the mark 'NS' stands for nickle-silver , a useful metal .

I live in So-Cal currently, but my family and I moved all over. So I'm not sure where they originally came from. My father spent a lot of time in Europe, South America, and the middle east.

I agree...interesting .
The first pair with the large rowels would probably be called "Gaucho Spurs", maybe from Argentina. Most likely made from some nickle alloy.

Thanks I'll try to look into Argentinian spurs and see what I can find!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 12:34:26 pm »
This first pair of Spurs , Are Spanish Colonial,...dating from around the late 1800,s
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 12:45:33 pm »
If we can date these spurs of yours, then the could be worth anything up to $$$$...average price on ebay...is around,$350/400..per pair....although,these prices are only asking prices, Not final sale prices...

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 01:09:09 pm »
I agree with fancypants......the last set is likely RCMP (GRC), the NS may be nickel silver or Nova Scotia. Have you checked the buckle for any marks? I do know earlier ones were made in England.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 02:58:17 pm »
Mr_Dunev, any chance that's a WS in the mark?  W. Scully out of Montreal, PQ supplied troops and RCMP with uniforms and accessories. They both manufactured and imported. I've come across one set of spurs so far by Scully.

Also, here's a response to a poster's question from 2002 on another forum.......

http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1686

William Scully Limited, Montreal, was established in 1908, and is still one of the largest makers & IMPORTERS of military uniforms & accoutrements in Canada.

Without examining them, the only thing that I can tell you is that they are probably not military issue. If they were, they would have the "broad arrow & C" somewhere. It's generally stamped on the shank. What I believe you have, is a pair of Royal Canadian Mounted Police issue spurs. Scully supplied a long shank spur to the RCMP from 1921 to about 1950. The long shank spur caused problems when driving automobiles so it was replaced by the current short shank spur sometime in late 1940's or early 1950's, I can't recall the exact year.

I suspect that you have a pair of RCMP spurs with coin rowels. If so, they're worth about $150. on the collector's market.

After the Great War there was little market for a Canadian-made cavalry spur, and there were still considerable stocks available as military surplus to meet the needs of the Armed Forces. Wm. Scully imported brand-new spurs from the UK for the RCMP.

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 03:38:27 pm »
I don't know the value but I am interested in buying these if you figure it out... (if your looking to sell that is)
Check this out... Probably at least 200 years old based on the amount of garbage that was in the dumpster around it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 06:49:55 pm »
http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/garcia.htm

Scroll down to the bottom here for email address !! These people may be able to tell you more about the top pair !!  They do look Argentinian to me !!   Third pair look like older dressage spurs !!  Some spurs are pretty pricey as those of GS Garcia are and the company still sells quality spurs and bits,, others not so much !! But wouldn`t hurt to ask and see what they might be !! Some makers are well known simply by the style !! The large rowel is common in South American/Mexican spurs !!  Not so much in western spurs !!  When you use those spurs in the first pic,, better make sure you know how to walk in them !!  And never squat with your spurs on !!

Mr_Dunev

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »
Thanks for the help everyone!!! I am learning a lot.
I don't know the value but I am interested in buying these if you figure it out... (if your looking to sell that is)

Not looking to sell right now, but if I decide to do so I'll PM you first, and let you know

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 01:47:35 am »
http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/garcia.htm

Scroll down to the bottom here for email address !! These people may be able to tell you more about the top pair !!  They do look Argentinian to me !!   Third pair look like older dressage spurs !!  Some spurs are pretty pricey as those of GS Garcia are and the company still sells quality spurs and bits,, others not so much !! But wouldn`t hurt to ask and see what they might be !! Some makers are well known simply by the style !! The large rowel is common in South American/Mexican spurs !!  Not so much in western spurs !!  When you use those spurs in the first pic,, better make sure you know how to walk in them !!  And never squat with your spurs on !!
Barbaric things anyway...Poor horse!!