Author Topic: What is this??? Please help!  (Read 3498 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: What is this??? Please help!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19:58 pm »
Ditto....doesn't look like the quality.

Pretty box though!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Joshtully

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 12:51:31 am »
The pictures don't really do the box any justice, in hand you can see the fine workmanship of each piece of wood laid in, and the ( tiles) look like mother of pearl to me, and the mosaic around the edges are made up from different material, either bone or ivory, I only say this because you can see the typical hair like fibre structure of the tiles, but again!!! I'm no expert, all your help has been a fantastic insight! And I'll take it along to the antique shop and see what they say. Ok let's say it is tunbridge..... How much would it be worth? Just so I don't get ripped off if I ever part with it! Again, thanks a bunch guys!

Ipcress

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 05:34:10 am »
Guys, it's Tunbridge, not Turnbridge.

The box isn't new. I'd go as far to say it could be a century old. The marquetry is good but there appears to be some loss to the red detail on the lid ? ( the red detail intrigues me to be honest. Has no place on that box other than to signify something )

However, without provenance or attribution to someone it's worth is little compared to the work that went into it. I'd be keeping it but £15-30 would be an estimate. It is a tad small.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1301955

That sold for £70 ( which seems a bit low so maybe it was damaged ) and i think you can compare the quality.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 06:32:49 am »
In, light of this latest revelation,that there may be slivers of tile, bone,or ivory,present,then,I think, its time for me to get out my Reverse Paddle,"Tunbridge",as far as i,m aware use only wood,therefore it is likely that this little box may have Eastern origins...which if is the case will ,lower its value,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,