Author Topic: "Asian" Brass Gong Made in England  (Read 8559 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: "Asian" Brass Gong Made in England
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 08:39:39 pm »
I,d rather be warm, than sit freezing my b****..off,....do you remember the story i told about Avril,s Auntie...burning the Ben Hogan gifted set of Hickory shafted golf clubs,...had they not been burned they,d be worth $$$$+ today....but in the winter of 47...they served a purpose,...they along with other pieces of furniture..helped keep a family warm....Now where,s my axe.....

I thought of you today when I caught a few minutes of the BBC Roadshow. A lady was there with a Georgian dining room table that her husband had found in a skip. She was thrilled to hear that it was valued at 25,000 Pd's. (Is furniture like coal...can you get more heat out the higher priced variety?) :D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 02:35:16 am »
Yes it does...both ways, cheap coal, = fast burning,quick heat.....expensive coal, slower burning longer heat....the same goes with furniture...cheap end product, i.e. pine, ply, composite,...burns quick, instant heat,.....whereas oak, and most of the hardwoods, give good prolonged heat,.....but there all the same to me...fuel, but only if they are cheap enough.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 02:49:00 am »
I,d rather be warm, than sit freezing my b****..off,....do you remember the story i told about Avril,s Auntie...burning the Ben Hogan gifted set of Hickory shafted golf clubs,...had they not been burned they,d be worth $$$$+ today....but in the winter of 47...they served a purpose,...they along with other pieces of furniture..helped keep a family warm....Now where,s my axe.....

I thought of you today when I caught a few minutes of the BBC Roadshow. A lady was there with a Georgian dining room table that her husband had found in a skip. She was thrilled to hear that it was valued at 25,000 Pd's. (Is furniture like coal...can you get more heat out the higher priced variety?) :D
Sometimes, they,re  better off,  not knowing the true value,...cos,when they do get told do, their whole attitude changes,...from someone who enjoyed what they had,..to the person who becomes paranoid...if anyone goes near it,...I know someone, who, on being told that the 5 little "yellowing plastic Japanese figures"..that gave so much joy to her sprogs, and her grandsprogs,were in fact, 15th century Netsukes...that were worth in the region of £20,000....these same figures are now in a safe,...locked away, out of site, enjoyed by no one,.and their owner is paranoid, ..

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 03:36:35 am »
The South does have some merit !!

Mart, yeah it does. What Downs did was basically get caught being a snob which is VERY COMMON in the art/decorative art world. Indeed, a generation before that comment there was not a SINGLE PIECE of american furniture in ANY american museum because it was thought inferior to european furniture.
It wasn't until Mrs Russell Sage purchased the Bolles furniture collection in 1909 and donated it to the MET where ol' Joseph was able to build and then open the American Wing in 1929. This marked the FIRST exhibition of "inferior" American furniture by any museum in the nation. The Bolles collection remains to this day as the core of the American Wing's furniture collection.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:48:46 am by jacon4 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 03:55:00 am »
Here..whats this,....Topic Hijack..if i ever saw one....just cos we,ve deviated off topic does,nt mean you can come in with gobbledygook...."start yer own topic....then we,ll see if it gets 2 pages worth of replies..on politics.... ::)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:07:41 am by bigwull »

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 03:59:16 am »
LOL, well, the topic had gone wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyy off course before i arrived and i am never one to shy away from an opportunity to talk about old american furniture. I think once upon a time there was a gong in here somewhere.......... .

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 04:05:12 am »
i am never one to shy away from an opportunity to talk about old american furniture.

Yeah, keep it up, whether here or elsewhere. Very informative! Your 17th century blanket chest is one of my favorite threads.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 04:10:58 am »
LOL, well, the topic had gone wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyy off course before i arrived and i am never one to shy away from an opportunity to talk about old american furniture. I think once upon a time there was a gong in here somewhere.......... .
well here,s another one....back on track ..of sorts ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:16:30 am by bigwull »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 04:20:43 am »
i am never one to shy away from an opportunity to talk about old american furniture.

Yeah, keep it up, whether here or elsewhere. Very informative! Your 17th century blanket chest is one of my favorite threads.
Oh!!...that whitewood thing....well it disnae ring ma bell.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 11:58:29 am »
Would certainly rather discuss furniture than a gong !!  English Asian brass gong didn`t blow my skirt anyway !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 12:39:59 pm »
Would certainly rather discuss furniture than a gong !!  English Asian brass gong didn`t blow my skirt anyway !!
Skirt....you mean to say you have a skirt...mmm,never took you to be skirt cowgirl....only skirt i like is this....Skirt steak......which in reality is,nt really a steak...but it gets called that...and that,s good enough for me..... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 03:30:26 pm »
Texas saying Wullie !! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 03:36:26 pm »
Texas saying Wullie !! 
i live and learn from an elder...... ::)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 05:45:26 pm »
Yeah !!  Won`t go there !!!