Author Topic: Wostenholm 13 1/4 in. Sharpening Steel  (Read 2489 times)

BigJawhny93

• View Profile
Wostenholm 13 1/4 in. Sharpening Steel
« on: May 02, 2013, 02:40:51 pm »
Hello Antique-shop.com, what I have here is a Wostenholm 13 1/4 in. Sharpening Steel. This has been handed down through my family for multiple generations. I have provided some photos of the Steel.
The Measurements are as follows: Full length- 13 1/4 inches. Steel Length-8 1/4 inches. Handle Length-5 inches.
The only marking i could find were the "Wostenholm.ENG" on the base of the steel and the "Sterling" markings on the handles silver plating. I was told by my father that the handle is made out of Elk Horn. I am more looking for the date of the Steel rather than the price. Any help is appreciated. http://imgur.com/a/7UanQ

mart

• View Profile
Re: Wostenholm 13 1/4 in. Sharpening Steel
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:14:48 pm »
Can you post your pic to this site please ?? Its simple to do !!  Look at the bottom when you go to Reply for additional options and click on it,  !!

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 03:41:18 pm »
Late Victorian, possibly sneaking into Edwardian. Would have come in a set of three.

Nice though

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:45:49 pm »
I,d say a little earlier..1820,s,

and here,s a little story i found on Wostenholm..it might be true,it might not,be,..but it was on their website,

There are two claims made about Wostenholm and the relationship with one of America’s most famous sons, legendary frontiersman Colonel James Bowie. The first claim is that Bowie ordered knives for himself and his close friends directly from Wostenholm.

The second, more famous claim is that, on March 6th 1836 when Bowie died at The Alamo while General Santa Anna's Mexican Army attacked, a knife found on his body was one made by Wostenholms. Whether or not these stories are true is impossible to say for certain as company records from that period no longer exist, but it is nice to imagine that the paths of these two great men once crossed
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:59:35 am »
Well now, I figure someone had to make the "original" Bowie knife for Bowie .... but in those days many men carried more than one (1) knife with them at all times.

One on their waist and another one in their boot or wherever.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 05:24:53 am »
Well now, I figure someone had to make the "original" Bowie knife for Bowie .... but in those days many men carried more than one (1) knife with them at all times.

One on their waist and another one in their boot or wherever.
or wherever... ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 06:15:35 am »
In a knife fight ..... and he's the only one who didn't have knife, ..... HUH?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 06:19:06 am »
check out his lugs... ;D ;D