Author Topic: Antique Golf Club (Driver)  (Read 1400 times)

Kevin_Bones

Antique Golf Club (Driver)
« on: April 25, 2013, 05:33:03 pm »
Hey guys, I recently bought an old golf club off a guy. I thought it was just a home made piece (which is what I was told) but it is actually a brand name club. There is a stamp on the club which says Auchterlonie St Andrews. Does any one know any thing more about the club? I would like to know how old it is approx and how much it would be worth. I read online that most clubs aren't worth anything but the rare one can be worth a bit. Here are a few pics:

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Golf Club (Driver)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:30:37 pm »
This is a Hickory shafted driver, date wise probably around 1920,s..value..will depend on age, condition,  etc but ,depending on where you are...it could be  worth,a bit see link http://www.antiquehickorygolfclubs.com/proddetail.php?prod=W026C

Tom Auchterlonie
St Andrews
Born 1879, one of the Auchterlonie dynasty, brother to Laurence and to David and Willie (who set up D & W Auchterlonie in 1896). Set up on his own account in 1919 and continued making wooden putters well into the 1920s. Another notable putter from his workshop is the prism-shaped "Holing Out" model.

The premises to which the business moved in 1935 still trade under the Auchterlonie name, close to the Old Course on the corner of Golf Place and Ellice Place
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:56:51 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 08:01:03 pm »
Thanks Bigwill :)

Here is another pic:

Looks like it has been snapped in half, or possibly just cracked. It's a straight crack so it's hard to tell why it is like this? Has it been broken or ??? Should I take the tape off ?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 05:26:11 am »
There could be a number of reasons why this crack has appeared...these hickory shafted clubs were,nt designed to hit modern golf balls,thy are too heavy...the balls in the 20,s were lighter,if you look on that link i posted..it tells you there,..another reason could be, that it was a bad golfer who swung the club and duffed his shot...e.g, hit the ground,...realistically, this club is,nt worth anything, bar being used for decorative purposes,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 05:28:02 pm »
This one's by David and Willie Auchterlonie, not Tom

http://www.dmcsoft.com/antiquegolf/maker.php3?makerid=77

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 05:41:17 pm »
This one's by David and Willie Auchterlonie, not Tom

http://www.dmcsoft.com/antiquegolf/maker.php3?makerid=77

The ones that David and Willie Auchterlonie have made all have a different stamping on the club. It looks more to me like it's made by Tom. I can't find this exact model though.

Thanks a lot both links were very helpful I learned a lot.

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 06:06:46 pm »
Yes actually  you are right I was trying to figure out what that said on the top.