Author Topic: Anonymous...or not?  (Read 11986 times)

waywardangler

Anonymous...or not?
« on: December 10, 2010, 10:06:46 am »
I am not sure where to put this topic or if I should even address it but here goes.  We each have anonymous user names that we use (or abbreviations of the names) and some of us know the real life name(s) of some of the members.  I have started to see instances where real life names are used instead of anonymous user names in postings.  I am not sure this is a good idea.  This is a public forum and 2 boards are visible to anyone visiting.  I think most, if not all, users prefer to keep postings addressing their user names.  If I am incorrect, please let me know.  In a PM, personal names would be appropriate, if desired.  Just my thoughts but I am being careful for everyone's safety.  If your user name is also your personal name, that is your choice.  Any thoughts on this?

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Anonymous...or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 11:36:27 am »
All good points/questions , waywardangler .

Some folks are just less careful than others , I guess .

I prefer to keep my identity details a bit concealed from the 'common consumption' on websites .
Having had my real identity 'swiped' 2x ... personally , I'd rather err to caution .

I've rcd a number of emails from spammers/scammers/phishers (some of which were tracked back to "members" usernames/websites from the Antique Shop forum , btw) from forum websites , all to mailboxes where I can manage to weed out most of the caca .
I wouldn't like to have to manage my secure e-address in that way , so I have all the little sock-puppet addresses handle that 'load' .

Although I have not created an account here for quite awhile , perhaps a 'security advice' statement @ the time of the account activation/registration process ( for those new to forums , or the less-savvy web user ) might just be a CYA for that ..... ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:50:15 am »
Good reminder Wayward! I think that many of us who use social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace frequently use our real names online. But what is different about this forum is that we often share information about our possessions, which might make us more vulnerable to both physical and identity theft. It is probably a wise idea to limit identities to first names and locations to general geographic regions or to stick to using a forum alias.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 07:23:30 pm »
Good note Waywardangler!

I have had my identity stolen once and was able to track them down and turned into the police - convicted!

For all you know....I could be a man....or could be a woman....or half-n-half!  LOL

Love the commercial when the guy says "This is Peggy. How may I help you"....

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:29:26 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 06:21:27 pm »
It's funny to me because when caller ID started and old friend used to call and it would come up as anonymous. My husband used to say anonymous is on the phone, lol My first name is so unusual that it's easier using my user name. I agree about the worries of having your personal identity stolen. It has happen to several people I know.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:13:43 am »
I,ve been on here for just over a month and half....and can honestly say.that for me it would be easier if all anons were to give me a little skiffy as to their gender....i know approx a dozen members gender....and it helps....when i post...cos it stops me putting my muckle feet into the mire....i don,t mind not knowing first names..."hey Jimmy" works over here..so there,s no reason why it won,t work over there...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:16:16 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mccoyseant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 04:42:27 pm »
Waywardangler, thank you for your advice. I'm not worried about it though, there are 188 people in the U.S., in my age group, with the same name as mine. There are 3 within 20 miles of me, and none of us are related.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:25:47 am »
Well, I must be lucky...there,s only one of me...out of weeks if not months of searching I have never come across, another person,,,with the same full name as me,...I,ve got 5 children.. ...and one brother, and a nephew,who have the same surname,.i,ve only ever found another 4 with my surname,..but they are now deceased,...does that make me unique....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,