Author Topic: Dog figurine  (Read 1168 times)

Dobbytn

• View Profile
Dog figurine
« on: May 19, 2013, 11:58:46 am »
Hello,

I recently came across a collection of dog figurines (11 to be exact) and I am in the process of researching each one.  I will be posting additional pictures in the future of a few more that I believe I will need more insight on, but for now, there is one in particular.  It's a basset hound dog that is sitting up on its hind legs.  It's about 7 inches high and there is a foil sticker on the bottom that reads "Ucagco ceramics Japan".  I can't seem to find anything that turns out to be exactly what I have.  I realize it bears a resemblance to Boswell the basset hound from the 1958 book Boswell's Life of Boswell by Evelyn Leavens, but I highly doubt it can be that because the light brown spot markings are different on the front of the body.  I am looking for a time period, value estimate, and any other information you would like to share.  Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:02:18 pm by Dobbytn »

Ipcress

Re: Dog figurine
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 01:05:59 pm »
http://www.michiganbassetrescue.org/auction/index.php?content=showauctiondetail&id=1844&PHPSESSID=u0daf83sgh6q1ley8uhhwv9cdd939dmu

Looks identical to yours ? The $300 seems excessive though. Elswhere three figures have made $60, which seems more sensible.

American company that was based in New York and New Orleans but had offices in Japan.

Dobbytn

• View Profile
Re: Dog figurine
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:39:24 pm »
Thank you! Since Boswell the Basset is quite collectible, I really didn't think mine could be that, but it makes sense.  I have some more pictures ready of a couple more dogs.

The Dalmatian has a foil sticker, but the font has been rubbed off.  There is that number, but I haven't been able to track down any information with it regarding company, value, or time frame.  It stands 5 1/2 inches high. 

The Poodle stands 5 1/2 inches high and 7 inches long.  The bottom reads Japan and there is a sticker on the leg that reads Windsor Canada.  When I search for either place of origin I come up with nothing.