Author Topic: Old Duet Figurine, Hummel/Goebel, other?  (Read 5480 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Old Duet Figurine, Hummel/Goebel, other?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 11:26:50 am »
I went to a Hummel auction with a big collector about 4 years ago, and he was shocked at how much value his collection had lost. And this pre-dates the general collapse of the antique market.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:36:40 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Buddie11

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 01:30:48 pm »
Second one looks like a Hummel to me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 07:16:25 pm »
Second mark I think is Goebel,,but not Hummel !!  Everyone forgets that William Goebel had been using this mark before his association with Hummel in 1935 !!

Buddie11

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 07:57:19 pm »
So mart,you are dating it earlier than 1935. I'm far from an expert on this topic,just posting what my trusty?book says.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 08:41:33 pm »
I would think so since it is Goebel and marked as such,, but anything that was designed by M.I. Hummel according to their agreement had her name on it,, even the trial runs were required to have it written in her handwriting !!  It is known that William Goebel used this mark at least 12 years prior to his agreement with the convent !!  This is not my area either but its easy info to find !!  Everyone just naturally associates the two Goebel/Hummel but he was making things like this earlier !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 07:20:44 am »
Thanks Chris good to see you still here!!  As for bigwull my house is full of my grandmothers Hummels all packed up in boxes wish I had them before they lost all value would have sold them so fast!! It  is not however full of shabby shit  :P Most of my furniture has been hand crafted by my husband who also has been swinging a hammer his whole life like you Mr. smarty pants!!  ;)  All  rich solid woods no particle board crap!! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 09:41:08 am »
Thanks Chris good to see you still here!!  As for bigwull my house is full of my grandmothers Hummels all packed up in boxes wish I had them before they lost all value would have sold them so fast!! It  is not however full of shabby shit  :P Most of my furniture has been hand crafted by my husband who also has been swinging a hammer his whole life like you Mr. smarty pants!!  ;)  All  rich solid woods no particle board crap!! 
Your hubby,s skills far outweigh mine...think of me more as a 1st stage wood butcher...
and it warms the cockles of my heart...to see such fine workmanship...and.. to know that other people are thinking of me....it what ever form is suitable at the time... :)
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 08:25:57 am »
I'm not convinced that all Hummel figurines have an incised M.I. Hummel signature (see below), but, nevertheless, thanks for the input.

The last figurine I posted I found listed online as a Hummel/Goebel and another as Goebel, both circa 1950. I didn't find one with the TMK-1 mark I have but I think now it's probably Goebel, circa 1930's give or take a few years.

I've listed a few quotes and references below. I've seen a lot more online not listed here.

"Look for the Hummel signature. Find Hummel figurines signed with an incised M. I. Hummel signature, usually on a vertical surface near the base. A feature article in Collectors News magazine shows a painted Hummel signature and relates that some abbreviated signatures are found on small figurines. "In a few cases, no signature is included," the Woodworths, authors of the book "No. 1 Price Guide to M. I. Hummel Figurines," report in an article in "Collectors News" magazine."

Ref Source: http://www.ehow.com/how_6566543_identify-hummel-figurine.html

"The signature of Sister M.I.Hummel is incised on the base of almost every Hummel piece.

When the Convent and Sister Hummel made the historic contract with Franz Goebel, it was agreed that her signature, her personal stamp of approval, would appear on every piece.

It still does so today and the only exception is if figurines are without bases or do not have any adequate surface to display the signature. "

Ref Source: http://www.antique-marks.com/hummel-marks.html

"Goebel and Hummel Factory Marks

*Note: The M.I. Hummel signature was stamped or incised on all pieces that were large enough to accommodate it, but for pieces that couldn't - only the Goebel mark was used."

Ref Source: http://appletreedeals.com/mi-hummel-porcelain-figurines/mi-hummel-factory-marks-history/

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 06:41:11 pm »
The first one is not a Hummel. It appears to have been made in occupied Japan, so I would venture a guess at Lefton, or Norcrest made this one. They didn't always label their products, simply because they would do contract work for other lesser companies. So there are a lot of obscure brands out there that look identical to Napco, Lefton, Py, etc.

The Hummel market has certainly collapsed. Here's one from 1985 that just sold. I was surprised by how much it went for. Look at the third picture though. The price tag is still on it. $200 in 1985.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-MI-Hummel-Goebel-50th-Anniversary-416-Boy-Girl-Figurine-West-Germany-/140967673998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d254008e
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...