Author Topic: Japanese Samovar  (Read 1331 times)

aDawn

Japanese Samovar
« on: June 02, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »
So I came across this at the Salvation Army and I loved the shape so I grabbed it up. Then I went straight home and Googled "Samovar" as I had no idea what that was and it just looked like a really tall skinny tea/coffee pot to me  ::)

I'm not sure if this is old, but I can't find anything like it. When I search Samovar I mostly come up with fancy metal urns with spigots but I guess it can be a highly decorative tea urn. I really just don't know where to even start with it I guess.

The bottom has a label that says "Sample
                                               No. 2037 Samovar
                                               Nagoya, Japan"

The x'd out parts say "P/L #" and "NIKKO BOEKI K,K."

The ceramic has a blue tint to it. It measures just over 13 inches tall and 8.5 inches from the outer edge of the spout to the outer edge of the handle.

Thanks for any/all help!

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Japanese Samovar
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 05:49:13 pm »
Just an opinion , not an expert on items like yours , aDawn ...

Looks like perhaps a salesperson/manufacturers sample of a style the store/factory was displaying/hoping to find customers for .
Nice minimalist floral design & handy when used around a low (& traditional) Japanese table.

Looks late 20'th century to me .... usually these were included in a (for 'westerners') set with cups , a creamer & sugarbowl ... and are intended as servingware .... since there's no lid for your Japanese item , you could make a wooden one , if you'd wish (or use it for a long-ish stem flower vase & etc .) .

Plenty of ceramics have come out of Nagoya for quite some time , some with very high quality clay/workmanship !
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:55:03 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 05:56:29 pm »
I think the sticker has been misplaced. That's a ewer. Fairly modern but nice

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:31:01 am »
I agree. If you check samavors you will see this isn't one.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."