Author Topic: Anyone knowledgeable about Artwork?  (Read 5166 times)

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Anyone knowledgeable about Artwork?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 09:36:16 pm »
Perhaps it's an effect of the digital photo (artifacts) , but it sure looks rather clearly , to my eyes , to have writing present (in the 'top'/'first' image of the back of your item) in black ink @ it's top margin !

The material I'm seeing , as per your 'canvas' question , looks like watercolor paper stock ... it may be a 'board' stock gessoed canvas , though ...
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

hemster922

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 12:34:08 am »
So. The framer I was hoping to see this weekend is on vacation. But there was a huge ad in the paper for these 'Estate buyers' looking to buy antiques.
"Buying anything old!" plus "Free appraisals"
And there was a list of items they claimed they were looking for - which I have at least one of EVERYTHING.
My house is overwhelmed with antiques! I thought I could sell many items, AND have this mermaid painting/print appraised.
2 guys finally show up, and I start in the room that I keep the crystal, china, books, marbles, etc...and he asks if I have any jewelry.
Didn't even look at anything! So I take them downstairs to my shop, where I keep all the furniture. The Empire sofa, balloon back chairs, Libry-Dine table, pictures, paintings, comics, etc., etc...the guy could care less!
So I break out the jewelry. He grabs my grandmothers gold earrings & my Grandfathers wedding band and offers me $100.00.
And I said "Wait." "You're not interested in anything else you see here?"
He says "no. Do you have any more jewelry?" [[[sounding very disappointed]]] and I said "If I'd have known that was all you were interested in I wouldn't have wasted either our time"
I then ask him if he can at least give me an appraisal on this Mermaid picture.
He takes it out of the box like it was worthless [I wanted to smack him], looked at it for 2 seconds and said it wasn't worth $30.00.
Thats it! Thats all he said.
Seriously??
What just happened here.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 05:28:22 am »
"What just happened here"

Just another brush with the real world....

"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 05:39:30 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 05:57:39 am »
"What just happened here"

Just another brush with the real world....

True, and whilst i never rated the picture in terms of value anyway, i'm surprised how easily people let " valuers " into their own homes.

Sound like a right couple of bandits

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 08:46:01 am »
I kind of agree with Ipcress !! Hope you told him (not too nicely) to get out of your house !!  I would recommend never respond to an ad in the newspaper !!  That is how many thieves operate !!

hemster922

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 11:01:51 pm »
Very true.
I'll never do that again

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 05:47:10 am »
Good !! There is no huge hurry so just wait on the framer to get back !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 06:31:20 am »
Never fall for those gypsy scam artists that set up in a motel for a few days, and run a full page ad. Their only goal is to try to hoodwink you into selling as cheap as possible by presenting themselves as "experts" in the field. 

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 08:02:55 am »
I agree with Rauville. Also, unless they have some kind of Business I.D., I would definitely be careful. Especially since they were only interested in Jewelry (even after listing all that stuff). If they had a name of their business - google to check them out. They sounded suspicious. They probably didn't have any knowledge about the stuff and that is why the 2 second look and short answer. They sound like jerks. If your house gets broken into, remember who they are just incase.  (Not that they will do that, but hey, you never know about people and them only being interested in the jewelry...sounded strange).
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

hemster922

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 01:33:20 pm »
I hear ya. And I have all their info including cell phone # they used to call and find my place.
They definitely set off bells & whistles with me