Author Topic: UCAGCO Items Made In China, but made in Holland?  (Read 2901 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
UCAGCO Items Made In China, but made in Holland?
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:06:46 pm »
Hello! I finally took the photo of the item I mentioned in the other section of the forum.  I wondered if UCAGCO made stuff in Holland? We got this piece in a boxed lot of stuff in an auction. I know that UCAGCO stuff was mainly made in China, but I have not seen anything made in Holland. I also wondered if they made stuff other than cermaic type items? The piece I have here is probably quite modern (I don't know though) and it appears to be an ashtray (maybe).  The sticker says UCAGCO made in Holland. It is probably a 2 dollar tourist piece, ha ha.

I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: UCAGCO Items Made In China, but made in Holland?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 04:02:40 pm »
Maybe...an ashtray?.....just a maybe...... ;D ;D ;D....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:58:58 pm »
Yes, that is what I thought, lol. It is metal and everything made from that company that I have seen is Ceramic and made in China. I cannot find anything saying they made stuff in Holland. I just don't believe the sticker...someone could have printed that up for all I know. Not that UCAGCO stuff is worth anything.  I wondered if they made UCAGCO in Holland and if they made more than just ceramics. I read it was ceramics and just made in China.
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 05:01:28 pm »
Then again, I am not an expert internet searcher, ha ha. So it might be on the internet somewhere.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 06:42:13 pm »
for all you know..this might be the plug.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 08:23:57 pm »
They made stuff in Italy ,Japan, China, and it said also in South America !! As I see it, could still be theirs,,company changed in 60`s so possibly this was something tried after it changed hands ??  Need to look more tomorrow !!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 04:09:37 pm »
Thanks! I appreciate that! :) Taking a rest today, the doctor can't get me in until Thursday and I still have a temp and stuff.  I had the pneumonia shot and flu shot (not that it helped, because I had the flu anyway after). This is worse than the last time I had the flu, so I have no idea what it is.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:23 pm »
That's not fun !! Hope you feel better soon !!  Still nothing on metal stuff but not much time today to look !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:09:17 pm »
Ashtray!  Most likely late 1930's to mid 1940's.

Some history....we have had items on here over the years.  ICAGCO was an import company...so their items come from all over!  So although they may not be properly marked (which ALOT weren't) they could be from South America, Japan, etc.
http://www.fromgrandmastree.com/ucagco-ceramics-history/

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 02:15:21 pm »
I am just now getting back on here. Been to the doctor and back with meds that are making me feel worse. I just hope it is worth it in the end. I have a cold with bronchitis, come to find out.  It is going around and apparently some people are ending up with pneumonia.  I hope I don't. My husband is sick now too.  :P

Anyway, I want to thank you for that information. It is very helpful and I understand now. 

I kind of like that ashtray.  We keep most of the stuff we buy.  Some of it, if in box lots we either throw out, give away, or sell if it is extra stuff we don't want.  A lot of times if it is a boxed lot we are only buying for one or 2 items in it.  We recently got rid of a bunch of boxes of stuff we had down in the basement. We donated some boxes to a yard sale benefiting a local animal rescue/animal welfare place.  I am just not sure what I am going to do with this ashtray yet, because I am back and forth about it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 04:13:19 pm »
If you like it ,, keep it !!  I think ashtrays would make a nice collection !!