Author Topic: Help With Teddy and the Bear Bank  (Read 2148 times)

Treasureship

• View Profile
Help With Teddy and the Bear Bank
« on: June 14, 2013, 03:02:21 pm »
Hi Everyone. I recently found  a cast iron "Teddy and the Bear" mechanical bank, and need some help dating it. I know they have been widely reproduced and I am not knowledgeable enough to know the difference.

It measures 10" wide x 3" at the deepest x 7.5 " high when closed and weighs a hefty 6 lbs, 4 oz.

It has definitely been repainted.

From what I have gleaned online, the original ones have "pat applied for" on the bottom of the base This one doesn't appear to have any marks.  The small bottom cover is impressed with "PATd FEB 2 1875".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Treasureship

• View Profile
Re: Help With Teddy and the Bear Bank
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:19:35 pm »
I also noticed that the screws are Phillips head.

More pictures...

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:31:47 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to deliver bad news, but your bank looks much newer than it should be. The screws, casting details, and the fact that the originals came out in 1907 would make it a "collectible" for someone's shelf at best. Cast iron mechanical banks can be confusing, since reproductions have around since the 1960's in some form or another.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 04:03:39 pm »
Yes !!  Welcome to the group !!  I am afraid Rauville is correct !! Reproduction !!  What are the letters on the bottom plate ?? Can`t read those !!

Treasureship

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 04:11:42 pm »
It is hard to read because there is a thick layer of paint covering everything...The small bottom cover is impressed with "PATd FEB 2 1875". That is one of the things that threw me...from my research, that seems to be the same as the originals.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 05:42:11 pm »
It is hard to read because there is a thick layer of paint covering everything...The small bottom cover is impressed with "PATd FEB 2 1875". That is one of the things that threw me...from my research, that seems to be the same as the originals.

It's hard to go strictly by a date...that's why they are called "copies". ;)
The best thing to look at is the quality and fit of the parts. Those turn of the century companies took real pride in their products. Looking at your last photo of the bear's head: You would not find an old bank with pieces that had to be ground down in order to fit together.
Here's an early model to compare with: http://www.mechanicalbanks.com/pics/861.jpg

Treasureship

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 05:27:05 am »
Many thanks to Rauville and mart. You have confirmed what I thought. I figured it was probably a repro, but when you're looking at a difference in value of possibly thousands of dollars, it doesn't hurt to make sure.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 08:19:00 am »
One quick diagnostic tool, as Rauville alluded to, is the screws. If you see Phillips heads, chances are it's a reproduction.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford