Author Topic: Ivory sculptures...how to value/sell?  (Read 3644 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Ivory sculptures...how to value/sell?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 12:30:14 pm »
I am with mart & Ipcress on this one sorry  from what I can tell from your photos they are not  Ivory.  Here's a great thread on Ivory, bone & resin        http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=6485.0

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 12:38:45 pm »
Yes Wullie !!  It is always a pain for me !!
Ivory is a very fine grain, and it shows a cross hatched pattern along with a few other characteristics that I don`t see on yours !!  And not all resins will melt with the hot pin !!  There are some that use ground bone as well as stone or marble with the resin !!  More difficult to tell !! Will not hurt to try the hot pin though !!
And that AB mark on yours is usually how they mark a two part epoxy resin,,(part A and part B) !!  You would think it was a sculptors mark but it isn`t !!  It is simply known as AB Resin !!

Ipcress

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 01:40:57 pm »
Oh really? That's disappointing. Thanks for your input guys. I'm not entirely sure if their origins or how long my grandmother had them. I thought the marks on the bottom might've had to do with the grain of the ivory. On the bottom of the candelabra pic, you can sort of see lines on the side of it lining up with the marks on the bottom. I didn't even think of some kind of resin, but had figured they were not some kind of bone or marble. I'm guessing the test you do where you hold a heated pin or similar to the bottom should show this up yeah?
yes a hot needle,in the bottom..will determine if they are resin...also the weight of each piece will help...i don,t think they are resin.....

They're not ivory.

Look's like a man made substance to me.