Author Topic: Any Antique doll experts out there? Thanks!  (Read 2090 times)

Erthling77

• View Profile
Any Antique doll experts out there? Thanks!
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:55:55 am »
Here is this baby from AM Germany but that's all I know. looks like it also says 351 1,4? Did they ship these to the usa or were they brought over personally?
Any info on year or value? I'm seeing stuff all over the place hard to get a correct idea.
ok thanks alot.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:13:49 pm by Erthling77 »

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Hello Earthlings.... Any doll experts out there? Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:18:29 pm »
If your doll is an original, it would date back to the mid 1920's, and was sold under the name: "My Dream Baby" by any number of retailers including mail order catalog companies.

Here's some background on the maker: Armand Marseille.
http://www.dollreference.com/marseille_armand_dolls.html

Something doesn't look right with your doll...the head appears to be a socket type, intended for a composition body. In fact the entire doll has a look of being assembled in a hobby shop. There have been reproductions of bisque head dolls for the past several decades. Markings alone are not a true test of age. Could we see the back of the neck, along with the body undressed?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Any Antique doll experts out there? Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:30:31 pm »
Also,,where did you get this doll ??  Is it something you bought, inherited, a gift ???

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 12:42:08 pm »
having had an A M bisque headed doll a few years ago...i found that on the rear of the head it had Armand Marseille...in full, and not just his initials....it also had the number 60...which stood for the height...the body was made of material, and the arms/legs were made of wood....the hair and eyelashes were human hair....and the eyes closed when the doll was laid flat,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Erthling77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 01:29:29 pm »
ok here is 2 more pics. came from my mom said it was hers from a child. not sure who gave it to her,   thanks

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 02:08:00 pm »
Thanks for the additional photos. The number appears to be 351 / 4.K; with the "K" denoting a composition body. It's obvious that that the body is not composition. What bothers me about the head is that the original 351 mold was made with an open mouth and upper teeth, along with sleeping eyes. I don't see either...but I'm not using my glasses. ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 02:26:23 pm »
if my memory serves me well, i,m sure that the doll i had did not have Germany, on it....now that i think about it, i,m sure it did,nt....because when i found the doll,during a house clearance...my first thoughts on seeing the name....were...it is French....as the name looked French....and i was shocked when i found out that it was in fact German.....i have been searching around.....and although i am no doll expert....i,m of the opinion....that it may not be all that it seems.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 02:46:57 pm »
What I found was that they did mark both with the name written and with the initials !! They also produced the doll heads for other companies so its possible the head is correct as marked but body could be by any number of doll companies !!  Prior to 1891 it may or may not have had Germany as part of the mark !!  I am betting this as a later re-make !! The older original marks said it would have had A then the size number followed by M !!  Don`t see that on this doll !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 03:40:11 pm »
She looks as though she also had hair at one time.

Erthling77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 04:49:24 pm »
Thanks for the help everybody. Shes a weird one.. If any other info pops up ide like to hear.
Thanks again. For now i'll call her Jane Doe :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 06:15:25 pm »
Nah!! ....Frau....sounds better....its more in keeping with where she possibly  came from...... ;D