Author Topic: Two Mirrors  (Read 1941 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Two Mirrors
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:05:06 am »
The first is a small mirror (22" long, 12" wide) with a gilded ornate frame and an etched pattern in the glass along the top edge. The latter is probably a "real" antique. However, the silvering is in very poor condition. This one is 50" long and 22" wide. I'm not sure from what wood the frame is made. Any idea as to the age and value of these mirrors? Thanks.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Two Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 08:49:02 am »
The second is a beautiful Eastlake mirror made of walnut with walnut burl ca. 1885. A certain amount of mirror "fogging" is desirable, so don't fix it unless it's really distracting. The value depends on size, but I'd put this at $400-$500 around here.

Gorgeous!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 11:10:42 am »
No wonder so many people that come inside my house ask if I'm selling it. Now I can shock them with a reasonable asking price, if I ever decide to sell it. It's still difficult for me to part with some things. I know how much my parents loved Victorian stuff. Thanks for your informative reply.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 12:40:14 pm »
 Does that nice Eastlake style piece have any screw holes anywhere on the back or on the sides? Is the hanging method brackets with screws of just a couple of screw eyes. These reason I ask is that many of these that I have seen began their lives as part of a dresser another piece of furniture. The flat unadorned bottom makes the top a bit heavy from a design point. Do not get me wrong. It does not effect the value and many were just wall mirrors. I am just curious.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:42:36 pm by frogpatch »

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 12:56:36 pm »
I'll have to get back to you on what's behind the mirror when I can get close enough to it to take it off the wall. Right now, my estate sale things are kinda piled up in front of it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:42:20 pm »
Top mirror is probably late 20`s or early 30`s !!  Both are very nice !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 01:58:43 pm »
The Eastlake was/is a wall mirror. The Ghoppers have one that's very similar. It's been in MsGhopper's family since 1885 and has always hung on the wall above a matching parlor table.

-Broderick Crawford

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 12:46:14 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up. I personally have owned both styles through the years. See link.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/12712551_an-eastlake-style-victorian-walnut-dresser-mirror

The majority of Eastlake dresser mirrors tilted within a frame and would have little holes. Some were stationary. Those look the same. That is why I was curious.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 01:44:29 pm »
Actually, the link just looks like a misidentified wall mirror. If the dresser mirrors were within frames it would be the frame that had the crest,  not the mirror itself.

Just sayin'. No big deal.

-Broderick Crawford