Author Topic: Gordon's dry gin bottle found in ocean  (Read 3525 times)

Rschindler

• View Profile
Gordon's dry gin bottle found in ocean
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:36:14 pm »
Hi, I'm a first time poster on this forum. While moving my girlfriend into my house I came across an item that I have a few questions about. In 2003 I was in seaside heights, New Jersey swimming in the ocean. As I was getting out and about ankle deep in water, I felt something hit my ankle. I reached in and pulled out a bottle filled with sand and sea water. The bottle says "Gordon's dry gin" on it, and has a weird design on the bottom (I can't make out what it is). There are no other markings on the bottle. I've done extensive research and can only find similar bottles with writing on the side. Mine does not have writing on the sides, but I believe it could have as the edges of the bottle are really smooth as if it had been worn out. The lid on it is extremely tight and I can't get it to come off. I am wondering if anyone has any idea what time period this bottle may be from or any other information on it. I'd really like to know why it was in the ocean, but I know that's a long shot.

I attached pictures of it. Ten years later it still sits in my cub board and still has sea water in it. Thanks in advance for any help.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon's dry gin bottle found in ocean
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:27:20 am »
your bottle did,nt fall out of the sky...someone at some point in the past threw it into the ocean....as for getting the top off...if you apply heat via a warm cloth to the top...this will help as metal expands differently from glass...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rschindler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 12:53:37 pm »
I kinda figured someone threw it in the ocean... I don't really need to take the top off for anything, I was just lookin for a little history behind it, that's all

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:26:40 pm »
People collect sea glass which I am sure you know are fragments of broken glass that become smooth and from the sand. To find a bottle intact that is old is rare. I live at the Jersey Shore and posted a Roses Lime Juice Bottle on here that was tossed from a British sailing ship and buffed by sea. I found it covered with soot in a burned out house in Asbury Park.

What is curious about your bottle is how the sand got inside with the cap on. Once you open it and clean it you will have a nice shelf piece to talk about. Mine holds a prime spot on a shelf in the sun room along with some seashells and driftwood.

Does it have the Federal Law warning on it? 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 02:30:26 pm »
I kinda figured someone threw it in the ocean... I don't really need to take the top off for anything, I was just lookin for a little history behind it, that's all
you did say..you could,nt get the top off because it was tight....and i just reacted to that......???

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:06:23 pm »
That's what I was wondering about Frogpatch !! How did the sand get in ??  Possibly back when they were doing the sand art as a hobby ?? Can you take a pic of the wording/design on the bottom ?? Or where ever it is ??

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 03:44:30 am »
how the sand got in the bottle.....how do you think it got in....it was put in by whoever chucked it in the water....thats how it got in....use your noggin.... ;D ;D.........and there you are again...always wanting to see the bottom.....well.how s about this one...

Rschindler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 06:53:59 am »
The top one is a picture of my bottle, the bottom one is a picture of a similar bottle with the same design as mine on it (mine is really worn out).

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:38:29 am »
I just realized that your bottle was clear. I thought it was amber when I first saw it. It may not be that old and some gin soaked beach bum may have filled it with sand so it would not float back in

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57:38 am »
BTW:
That "weird design" on the bottom is their trademark boars head.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 09:27:35 pm »
Wrong bottom Wullie !! ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 10:40:34 pm »
It could have also gotten sand when it was lapping at the shore.  The salt water evaporated and remaining salt made a seal and secured it over time!!! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 02:42:42 am »
 ;D ;D
It could have also gotten sand when it was lapping at the shore.  The salt water evaporated and remaining salt made a seal and secured it over time!!! 
what a load of ...Hogwash!!.....to get that amount of sand and in the pattern its in...+ reseal itself.....it,d have to have been in there forever....."are you sure that Picante/Chipotle sauce ..is,nt too strong..... ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 06:35:08 pm »
I lost my breath laughing and laughing and laughing.  I couldn't see the picture good on my dying computer and rechecked it today.  Didn't realize it was FULL of sand.

I know Wullie fell out of his chair irritated.  Made My Day!!!!

That was filled then closed!  Then the salt water sealed it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!