Author Topic: antique value??  (Read 1038 times)

esimuda

• View Profile
antique value??
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:13:34 pm »
During a visit to New Zealand in 1978 I toured the North Island. Don't remember the name of it but there was an area where families of Yugoslav origin had been mainly active in searching for KAURI GUM. The very friendly farmer we met explained that this industry dwindled after WWII. I don't remember the reason but probably because of new products were being manufactured. The old farmer still had a lot of gum samples in his toolshed. As souvenirs I got 2 pieces of Kauri Gum, harvested long before WWII. I checked with website justkiwi.com and they say a lot about the different qualities. I have a question pending with them how one would recognize the quality - could an expert do that from pictures.

The question I want to put to this forum is: Would the pieces have an antique value because they were 'harvested' about 100 years ago? Or should I see these pieces as a form of raw material (justkiwi says approx 1 usd per gram and I have 300 grams)?

cogar

• View Profile
Re: antique value??
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:47:15 pm »
Now those 2 pieces may have sentimental or souvenir value but I'm doubtful of them having any other value.

But ya never know, list them on E-bay.

esimuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:23:38 pm »
Yeah, probably go the raw materials route

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 03:49:33 pm »
Try listing them as Scientific Antiques  !!  Sometimes you just gotta have a gimmick !!  You might check on a few science forums and see what their potential value is !!  You never know !!