Author Topic: China hutch or Huntboard - Not sure what era or style  (Read 2334 times)

Soledad

• View Profile
China hutch or Huntboard - Not sure what era or style
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:55:02 am »
All,

My wife and I were given an old china hutch/huntboard/cabinet (not sure exactly what you'd call it) by her dad and mom many years ago.  We've always assumed it was just a handmade hutch.  But recently they noted that he purchased it in an estate auction in San Diego CA in 1990 for $1200.  He said that the estate auction was for Alonzo Erastus Horton who I believe is considered to be one of the "Founding Father's" of San Diego.

What I'd like to know is what era this hutch is from and what style.  If I had to guess I would say late 1800's or early 1900's.  And it might either be German or French but again that's only my untrained guess.  The stained glass top is extremely heavy leading me to believe that it could be leaded glass.  There are no markings of any kind underneath it or inside of it anywhere.  We will be cleaning it out soon so that we can move it and check the back of it as well.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: China hutch or Huntboard - Not sure what era or style
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:03:31 pm »
When you take your pics you need to reduce the size so we can enlarge them !! This one is so big that the enlargement is a blur !!  We can not see what we need to answer your questions !!  After it is cleaned off would be best !!  Need one full shot showing the entire cabinet including the feet Then a closer shot of the top piece and bottom section and one showing the dovetails if there is a drawer !! One of the pulls would be nice but we might be able to see those if the pics are reduced !! 1500 to 2000kb would be right for size !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 09:49:19 pm »
Please post close up pictures of the designs, pull out drawers and take a picture of the side construction (where you can see the joinery), Please post a picture of the back, and hardware.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Soledad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 06:01:54 am »
Ok, thanks everyone.  I'll get some pics later today or more likely tomorrow.  I'll use our good camera instead of my phone this time.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:23:39 am »
That would be great !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 09:50:05 am »
I would say French ca. 1900-1910, lots of art noveau elements, walnut, $1200 would be about right.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Soledad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 05:53:52 pm »
Ok, I do apologize for the wait.  We've been busy trying to get things done around the house getting ready to move.
Anyway, instead of posting a few pictures directly to this forum/thread I took a bunch of photos and uploaded them to photobucket.com.
Hopefully everyone will be able to access the pictures.

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/spshultz/library/Antique%20Hutch

I've looked it over from top to bottom and there is not one marking, imprint or engraving signifying who made this.  I have noticed that it looks like it's been repaired here and there over the years because some of the wood panels and such don't match the original wood type and grain.  It is certainly in need of repair and due to the extremely dry climate we live in, the wood has dried out and cracked.  And there is now no doubt in my mind that this was all hand made and hand carved.

I'm now more curious than ever to figure out where this was made. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 06:48:39 pm »
On closer look wood is oak rather than walnut as Ghopper thought,,,was difficult to tell from the first pic !! The overall heavy construction and the acorn and oak leaf freize is more like Germany than France although either is a possibility !! I would put my money on Germany !! I think its later made than Ghopper said but we rarely agree on dates !! LOL  Value is about what he estimated $ 1200. if in excellent condition !!  Are you are talking about the back panels being different ??  They don`t use good wood for something no one sees !!   Furniture is almost never marked with anything other than a style number !!

Soledad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 07:43:11 am »
Thank you mart and ghopper!

Actually I was talking about the panels in the side shot pictures.  You can see a definite difference in the wood type.  I'm not sure if the different wood types were used on purpose or someone used what they had to make some repairs on those sides.

None-the-less I really appreciate the help!  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 10:19:12 am »
Went back and enlarged those side pics !!  Are both sides the same ?? Left and right ??  The part you are talking about does look like walnut  !! On the bottom panel,, are those grooves I see going across ??