Author Topic: Folk Art Model Ship  (Read 1447 times)

Shana

• View Profile
Folk Art Model Ship
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:06:48 pm »
Hello,

I am completely new to this forum, but I bought an old model ship and was hoping that someone could tell me something about it. I bought it at a thrift store and know nothing except that the ship appears to be pretty old. I've looked on the internet and I can't find much information but I think that this kind of ship is classified as a "folk art ship" instead of a model ship because it looks too simple to be a specific ship. I've only found three similar ships in my search so far. One is being sold on eBay and seems to be the Mayflower. The only information given is that the seller thinks it is 19th century. I found two other similar ships on restoration sites, one says it is 19th century and the other says around 1920. That is the limit of the information I have found. Since there are other similar, if not exact, ships I would think that means it was mass produced? I have no idea.

It looks like this ship sat in someone's attic for years. It is covered in a layer of dust and the rigging is almost completely gone. What's left is fragile and stiff. The leather bits are also black and hard and very breakable. The wood is painted black and despite some damage and missing pieces is in pretty good shape. There are no sails, though there is one metal flag and some other unattached pieces that must be the cross pieces for the masts. There's no stand, so it is sitting in my homemade cardboard box stand.

Does anyone know anything about this ship? How old it is, what kind of ship it is supposed to be? I do not think I am capable of a full restoration (nor can I afford a professional one), but any tips on cleaning? So far I have just tried dusting with a brush because I am afraid to use water on it. I don't have any interest in reselling the ship, I am just curious.

I'm attaching some pictures. They are just iPhone pictures so I apologize for the quality.

Thank you for your help!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Folk Art Model Ship
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:44 pm »
What is the length/height ??  Water is not going to hurt the wood as long as its not soaked !! Damp cloth to get the dust off !! Damp Q-Tip for tiny spaces !! Can`t really see detail and how its made !!  Since this doesn`t represent any ship in particular that I can tell,,it hay have been one that was used just for decorative purposes when the Spanish revival and Mediterranean craze was going around !! That would be 60`s and early 70`s !! They were mostly imports from Spain !! That could be the reason the decorative aspects are not indicative of anything historically correct !!  They were not intended to be a model of any ship in particular !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:15:29 am »
I agree with mart on this,..the style of the model is early 14th century...but, as Mart says its not a model of any particular ship,...value is minimal, ...well, over here that is,...and in my opinion...do not think about throwing more money after bad at this model,...its a piece of junk...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:55:13 am »
I wouldn't call it junk - you would - I wouldn't!  :)

I would also like to note that pieces like these were used in movie making (having a son in the business) for background shots.  They were also loved/favored by people just like the one requesting information on it.

I agree, very general model.  But plenty of people like that!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:05:02 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Shana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:53:16 pm »
Yes, thank you. As I said, I have no interest in ever selling it and therefore no interest in it's resale value. I bought it at a thrift store because I liked it, and that is all the value it needs to have. I was simply curious about it because it seemed old and I have never seen one before and could only find minimal information on the internet, and I think the information I found was probably wrong. Which is why I came here.

I'm glad to know that water won't hurt the wood, because it certainly needs some cleaning.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 08:41:15 pm »
Without close inspection it would be difficult to guess a date for the model !!  But as long as you like it,, that's what counts !! Just give it a little TLC and if those pieces are just out of place,, move them back where they should be !! Nice decorative model ship !! Are you going to restore it or leave it as is ??