Author Topic: Cobalt Blue Decanter  (Read 1669 times)

capot1948

• View Profile
Cobalt Blue Decanter
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:32:06 pm »
This is the last of the cobalt blue glass items we've acquired. There were no matching cups, this was just sitting by itself on a shelf. It struck me as being very beautiful probably because of the hand painted silver work on it.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Cobalt Blue Decanter
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:24:54 pm »
Ground pontil so hand blown !!  That antique shop you bought these from wasn`t run by a German lady or gentleman by any chance ??

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 04:40:55 pm »
Nope, it was at a place in Burnet called 'The Knothole'. Pretty large place more of a flea market than anything else. Full of just about anything and everything.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:55:44 pm »
When I had my shop there was another in town that a friend owned for many years !!  She was German and had married her husband while he was stationed there in the Army !! She still had a large family in Germany and always had lots of this type glassware that her family shipped to her !! It was very inexpensive there and back then mail rates were very reasonable !!  So I saw a lot of this type glassware but never got into it very much !!  Seems like the large percentage of it was decanter sets,,only a few pitchers and vases ect !!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:19:40 pm »
I remember when I was stationed in Berlin we'd go across to the East and there were so many beautiful pieces of crystal and so forth there. Wish I'd had the forethought to buy a lot of it. Unfortunately what we did have go lost during one of our moves.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 08:42:54 pm »
That's the pits to have it lost !!  My husband was mostly in Korea and Japan but did spend a few years in Germany and France !!  He loved Germany,, hated France !!  Don`t know why he didn`t bring anything back from the last two countries !!   He retired in 1971 !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 02:10:50 pm »
Bump up for Wendy !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 08:11:59 pm »
It is very difficult finding information about Silver Overlay and the patterns. Search  Silver overlay  on any colored glass and try to find a match the only problem is most will not have info about the pieces you find . It is also called silver deposit glass or silver electroplated glass. I have been searching and no luck yet. Here is a great article   http://www.cambridgeglass.org/articles/0508/07crystalball409a.php

Really beautiful piece  :)

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26:17 pm »
Thanks so much for the link Wendy. Yes, that was one of those pieces I just 'had to have'. Wasn't very expensive at all either. I'll do some searching tomorrow, burned out from our day long trip today.

Again, thanks for the information, much appreciated.
Chris