Author Topic: marbles lol  (Read 4332 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: marbles lol
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 02:55:54 am »
Did they put marbles in the bottom of old oil lamps to keep them from falling over

Oil lamps are much heavier when they are only 1/2 full of kerosene. And the weight of the marbles verses the weight of the kerosene is probably not much different.

Now me thinks it was either a kid that put the marbles in the lamp base ..... or a very clever person solving an emergency situation.

Iffen one didn't have any more kerosene ...... and the wick was too short to reach the kerosene level in the lamp ...... and it was past dark and the ghosts n' goblins were starting to come out n' about, ....... then a handful of marbles added to the kerosene in the lamp would raise the kerosene level up so that the wick would suck it up and the lamp could be lit.

Maybe not lit for very long, ....... but long enough to getya to that little shack out back .... and then back.   ;D ;D ;D

shakesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 05:14:07 am »
Did they put marbles in the bottom of old oil lamps to keep them from falling over

Oil lamps are much heavier when they are only 1/2 full of kerosene. And the weight of the marbles verses the weight of the kerosene is probably not much different.

Now me thinks it was either a kid that put the marbles in the lamp base ..... or a very clever person solving an emergency situation.

Iffen one didn't have any more kerosene ...... and the wick was too short to reach the kerosene level in the lamp ...... and it was past dark and the ghosts n' goblins were starting to come out n' about, ....... then a handful of marbles added to the kerosene in the lamp would raise the kerosene level up so that the wick would suck it up and the lamp could be lit.

Maybe not lit for very long, ....... but long enough to getya to that little shack out back .... and then back.   ;D ;D ;D
LOL maybe :D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 05:17:19 am »
No collector value in those !!  That white one bottom rt looks like a corkscrew type but rattling around in that lamp has ruined them !!  Right,, aggies and cats mostly !!
Thank you Mart. When that man e mails me back  he'll think I lost my marbles too  lol :)
nowt... wrong wi losing a few of yer marbles...i losts zillions during my M.A.D,s...days....and 40 years on ..i can still count my 10 fingers.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

shakesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 07:31:56 am »
No collector value in those !!  That white one bottom rt looks like a corkscrew type but rattling around in that lamp has ruined them !!  Right,, aggies and cats mostly !!
Thank you Mart. When that man e mails me back  he'll think I lost my marbles too  lol :)
nowt... wrong wi losing a few of yer marbles...i losts zillions during my M.A.D,s...days....and 40 years on ..i can still count my 10 fingers.... ;D
LOL That man just emailed me on those marbles, I sent him the picture. Hes probably laughing at them now  ;D

shakesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 08:16:59 am »
LOL That man just emailed me on those marbles, I sent him the picture. Hes probably laughing at them now  ;D He just mailed me back. Said they were late 50s, he named off 3 marble companys who made them .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 09:54:41 am »
So glad to hear that they are replying back!!!  Thanks for updating us!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

shakesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 10:32:24 am »
So glad to hear that they are replying back!!!  Thanks for updating us!
thanks for you guys helping me out. He  said they were buck or 2. I was just curious why they were in there to begin with anyway. Thanks again all.