Author Topic: Antique Leaded Glass Lamp  (Read 1963 times)

Blackheart

• View Profile
Antique Leaded Glass Lamp
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:30:47 pm »
Hi,

I'm looking for any information on this lamp.  It is at least 70 years old; probably older.  There are no visible markings, letters, numbers, etc. on it and the on/off switch is the paddle type.  There is a knob on the back of it that is used to swivel the lamp.  I was going to rewire it and use it in my office but it came from my Grandmother so I would like to find out a little more about it first.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Leaded Glass Lamp
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:55:42 am »
looks like 1920,s..style...art-deco period...wiring will definately need sorting....very nice indeed....wish it was mine.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 09:05:24 am »
If it bends down, it is most likely a piano lamp.  I agree with Wullie on the age & that the wiring needs to be sorted.  GG

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:12:36 am »
Tiffany had a similar style and many copied that styling !! The stained glass panel in this one is quite simple and was for more middle class families !! You might look under the base for a foundry mark,,it appears to be bronze ??  Go ahead and rewire it !! I would guess value between $125. and $150. or in that area !!

Blackheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:58:15 pm »
Thanks to all for their input.  The shade does tilt; I don't know if that's what you meant by 'bend down'.  There is no marking on the base or underneath it.  Initially I thought the base was brass but it could very well be bronze.

Thanks again!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:31:14 pm »
Late 20`s many were cast in bronze !! You can scratch a tiny spot on the bottom to check !!  Yellow gold color is brass,,dark red copper color would be bronze,,silvery white would be spelter or pot metal that was colored to look like bronze !!  Either is possibility !!  Still nice lamp !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 09:28:04 pm »
By bends down, I meant it swivels down where the uprights meet the base, so that the keys of your piano have some light.   The bases were very heavy as a counter balance.  Doesn't really change anything like the date or price.  GG

Blackheart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 11:48:37 pm »
By bends down, I meant it swivels down where the uprights meet the base, so that the keys of your piano have some light.   The bases were very heavy as a counter balance.  Doesn't really change anything like the date or price.  GG
Oh, ok...no it doesn't bend down...the shade tilts a little but that's about it...thanks!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 07:57:14 am »
Agree with the above, could possibly bring more around here, $200 or so.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford